5.1 Or Stereo Headphones?

ady1989

I would recommend both -- there will just be times when you can't play with the big sound volume.

Personally, I spent big on the speakers and small on the headphones.

R.

583113[/snapback]

(this was the last post i read)

I totally agree. I got a set of logitech z-5300's (got the 5300E's now cause my dumb self blew one. thank goodness for the bestbuy performance replacement plan)

they are VERY nice for the money. I use them EVERY single day and i cant use headphones for music because then i wouldnt be able to leave my pc. The only time i use headphones is at lans or if my parents want total silence. (there room is right next to mine) and even then i can use the speakers, i just have to turn the bass down.

for the headphones i got a cheap (but good) set of logitech headphones for 20 bucks at walmart and have had them for 2 years now. they are similar to these. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...CONTENTID=10011

Edited by sYstEmATiC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(this was the last post i read)

I totally agree.  I got a set of logitech z-5300's (got the 5300E's now cause my dumb self blew one. thank goodness for the bestbuy performance replacement plan)

they are VERY nice for the money.  I use them EVERY single day and i cant use headphones for music because then i wouldnt be able to leave my pc.  The only time i use headphones is at lans or if my parents want total silence. (there room is right next to mine) and even then i can use the speakers, i just have to turn the bass down.

for the headphones i got a cheap (but good) set of logitech headphones for 20 bucks at walmart and have had them for 2 years now.  they are similar to these. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...CONTENTID=10011

587400[/snapback]

I play CS , and CZ, and hl2, and bf2, and more... and I have Logitech z-5500 speakers with audigy 2 card and I also have sennheiser hd-255 headphones.

The speakers are WAY dissapointing. They can't even mount on a wall, the chords are 5' long, so its impossible to put them where you want, and they break easily.

Headphones are the way to go, you can take them somewhere if you need, but make sure that you have a good sound card. The headphones / speakers are only as good as your sound card.

on my CS rig (that iv been usign for like 4 years) i have a pair of $80 doller wallmart headphones (with mic), and onboard sound, these are increadable, i tried tha Zalman 5.1 headphone a while back and they suck compared to these headphones. then about a montha ago i went out and purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD500's and these things smoke the other headphones. witha good pair of headphones you can tell exactly where people are in CS, behind, to teh side, above, etc. once you play for a while you will be able to tell with stereo, as they are much more precise than 5.1 headphones. and when im not playing hardcore i use my home theatre system (600 watts of 5.1 goodness) this is a 500 doller sound system, but still wotn compare to my headphoens for cs. headphones bring the soundstage (in this case teh game) right in clsoe to your head, you have to train your ears to be able to tell where the sound is coming from. and if your seriouse about CS (i think you are) you will regret the 5.1 in teh future.

for cs source, headphones(headset) are far far better than speakers where you want to hear every shell casing drop, footsteps, or reload *click click*, trust me, speakers are great for doom3, quake4, battlefield2, etc....... but for cs source, headset is it, you get much better imaging(sound position)

i bought a $12 Compaq brand headset on clearance from Radio Shack and i can tell where everything is in cs source perfectly, so perfectly i get accused of cheating for "knowing" where people are......lol

for bass i leave my speaker sub plugged in to the sub output on my sound card, and use the front/back channel on the headset, i still get to hear and feel the blasts in my desk, but the sound imaging of the headset is far far better than speakers

i use the headset only for cs source, every other game i play with the speakers cranked up

Edited by habitual geek

I have some uber stero headphones that own any surround sound. And yes you can definatly tell where people are with headphones more so that 5.1. don't waste your money on 5.1 speakers as headphones, in my bview, do a much better job of pin pointing sound.

In order to get the same kind of accuracy as heaphones, you'de ned to position the speakers precisely. You'de have to screw them into the wall behind you etc etc.

Trust me and uber when we say heaphones are much better for gaming.

587391[/snapback]

I wanted to get a 5.1 set of headphones not speakers. Btw, Uber, since you use your sens now lemme borrow your cs headphones for a day, i wanna c how they are. and skip social for craps sakes this spare is boring...

Edited by ady1989

i have little electrodes i tape to my skull :P

I wouldn't bother with 5.1 headphones... firstly you lose the '.1', It's physically impossible to have the center speaker so really it's like having four channel headphones, which then tell you if you are being shot at from the front or behind... but to be honest, if you need to hear to know where your enimies are, you deserve to be fragged. :ph34r:

for cs source, headphones(headset) are far far better than speakers where you want to hear every shell casing drop, footsteps, or reload *click click*, trust me, speakers are great for doom3, quake4, battlefield2, etc....... but for cs source, headset is it, you get much better imaging(sound position)

i bought a $12 Compaq brand headset on clearance from Radio Shack and i can tell where everything is in cs source perfectly, so perfectly i get accused of cheating for "knowing" where people are......lol

for bass i leave my speaker sub plugged in to the sub output on my sound card, and use the front/back channel on the headset, i still get to hear and feel the blasts in my desk, but the sound imaging of the headset is far far better than speakers

i use the headset only for cs source, every other game i play with the speakers cranked up

587488[/snapback]

very true, i was at the point (when i payed hardcore) where i coudl trace people thorugh the wall based on soudn alone, i could hear shells hit the ground across the map. i mean i played for Cal-IM from 1.4-1.5(till end of 1.5) then i played for a while in Cal-O in 1.6 and got tired of teh drama and went freelance again. i used to get banned from about 2 servers a day, because of whiney losers, once you get good at it be prepared to get banned alot. if i can find all my old Cal demos ill send you some.