5.1 Or Stereo Headphones?

ady1989

I'm planning to get a 100-150$ pair of headphones, and I'm wondering if I should go with a high end stereo or 5.1 set. Any recomandations? This will be for gaming, and I want something that can help me know where the enemy is.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it'll be for gaming, 5.1 speakers would be much better. If you insist though, I suppose the Zalman 5.1 headphones are pretty good, from what I hear, for games. You could get alot of pretty decent stereo headphones for 150, but they are best suited for music and such, and not games....

I've got the Zalman 5.1s and trust me, you can definitly tell the surround is there. The bass on them is not so great, so I would reccomend a decent set of 5.1 speakers alongside the headphones. I have splitters on mine and use the headphones for gaming and my speakers for anything else.

hhhm... I think I'm gonna take teh Zalmans for a spin, I have 7 days to return them anyways. I don't have money for a 5.1 speaker set right now, my priorities are ram (pc4000, 220$), monitor (19" viewsonic 400$ish) and these headphones so i know where those craping terrorists are coming at me from.

dude - seriousely dont wast your money on the 5.1 headphones. they are nto worth it. for counter strike use a quality pair of stereo headphones, with a decent sound card. iv been playing CS since 1.3 and i have always used stereo headphones. you will see no gain with 5.1 trust me on that. ill even sell you my old CS headphones that iv used for like 2 years (now i have some nice Senns)

lawl, stereos would only accuratley give sound to teh left or right of you. you would not know if an enemy is right behind you, right in front, or in between that left and right barrier very well. i dunno ill put some more thought into it and maybe get a pair from memex to test them out then return them.

dude i can tell exactly where peopel are all the time in CS, so accuratly i can trace there every mocve through walls most of the time. i have tired teh 5.1 headphones, and they are to close to your head to accuratly reporduce it anyways. and for 150 bucsk you could get a ncie pair of sennheiser headphoesn like mine :P

I have some uber stero headphones that own any surround sound. And yes you can definatly tell where people are with headphones more so that 5.1. don't waste your money on 5.1 speakers as headphones, in my bview, do a much better job of pin pointing sound.

In order to get the same kind of accuracy as heaphones, you'de ned to position the speakers precisely. You'de have to screw them into the wall behind you etc etc.

Trust me and uber when we say heaphones are much better for gaming.