Sata Raid Sillyness.

keithedson

Right, got a new case and fitted my components in it earlier today, after a while of arranging wires and fitting fans i booted up the PC and it was all ok, untill i realised my CD/DVD drives were not showing up in My Computer. Logically i checked that they were plugged in etc, and it was simply that i had not plugged the 4pin molex connectors into the drive, simple enough.

Then (i have 1 IDE hard drive as boot disk) my SATA drives (1 160GB 1 200GB) were not showing up in My Computer!! So, i checked in Disk Management and no, they weren't in there either.

So, restarted and went into the SATA RAID utiltiy, me being me, I had a fiddle and created a RAID (RAID 0 i believe), I just wanted to try and see if this would change anything and get my SATA drives recognised, and whilst doing this i didn't see anything to do with formatting, no long waits, no disk noise and no evidence of the drives being formatted (PHEW, lots of valuable.... stuff on these disks)

So, back into Disk Management and i had an Unallocated disk of around 360GB.

Now i'm rather panicy and scared!

Then, back into the SATA RAID configuration, I deleted the RAID (still no disk noise and any sign of format) and back to Windows.

Disk Manager showed to disks with Unallocated space written all over them (moderate panicing at this point), so i right clicked one of the Unallocated drives and hit 'New Volume', and selecting NOT to format, restarted and it appeared in My Computer, when i double click the drive it says 'The Drive Is Not Formatted, Click Here To Format' etc etc.

System Specs:

Abit NF7-S v2.0

AMD XP Barton 3000XP (stock speeds)

MSI 5900XT (stock speeds)

1.5GB OCValue PC3200 RAM

Up To Date, WinXP Pro.

As i don't think i've formatted the drives, i think there is still hope. Is there some sort of recovery software available?

Thanks!

:(

Why did you try make a raid partition when theres still data on the drives??

Im sure you can recover most of the data, but Im not sure if making a new raided partition effects it at all. One program I used to recover data from a drive with a corrupted file system is GetDataBack for NTFS.

Good luck