Help Me Pick A Processor

I'm building a pc for a friend. He wants something fast he told me, and that's about his only concern this is a hard decision to make. Minimal gaming will be done, but lots of DVD and CD rips and copies and what not. He's basically wanting something up to date and very fast that he can have all of his media on.

I was thinking maybe the venice 3200 or something along those lines???

I don't know you guys help me out, and give a few all over the price range too.

Thanks

Dan

If he's jsut copying stuff AMD is still the way to go, but if he does alot of compressing etc, then we move into the land of Intel...heck i even transfer files to the 3.0c and let it encode vs using my 3000+ (well when the 3000+ is at max OC i dont...that would be stupid :lol:)

SO yeah it depends on EXACTLY what he does from day to day, but considering the price of the 3200+, i say it's a good choice. maybe you could do a light OC on it for him if he's a close friend. Nothing big just 2-300mhz to make him feel special :lol:

I would say an AMD dual core 3800+ or 4200+.  If price is a concern then I would suggest the 3700+ SD.

579562[/snapback]

i really doubt he'll be doing something that technical, hes probably using some single threaded app like nero or somethin, i'd actually say to get a intel

I really can't give more details on what he wants because he doesn't know. I don't have a mobo picked out yet, this is a build. He wants a fast computer with lots of storage for his music and something he can watch movies on. That's basically all he can tell me because he is inept when it comes to computers. He told me "I just want it to be fast,".

So this is what I'm working with.

I have a 3.0E in my pc and it seems very fast at everything I do including gaming, but I kind of want 64bit for him so it will be up to date and what not..

Let me know what you guys think...

Dan

Him wanting a fast computer is great and all, but what is his PRICE RANGE?!?!? If you don't give us this information, you're going to get responses ranging from a 3200 Venice all the way up to quad-Opteron systems, the difference of which is thousands of dollars