Sign in to follow this  
cdoggown

Want To Build A Laptop

My wife is starting her own home-based business and needs a laptop. The cheapest we can find round town is 650-700 for our minimum specs (512MB, CDRW/DVD-ROM, CPU can be Celeron or Sempron, 40GB HD, 15" screen.)

So I was thinking, if I can build my own desktop and save a couple hundred bucks, why not a lappy?

But thus far, cant find where to buy the chassis, mobo, etc. Any ideas?

Building a laptop generally means that you have to buy "replacement" OEM parts and then assemble it yourself. Unfortunately, these parts don't come cheap. In fact, building a laptop yourself is not only more annoying because of the cramped space, but you also forgo any warranties that come with an OEM system.

I say just go for the $600-700 laptop and save yourself a hassle. Look at it this way. If it was worth building your own, don't you think a lot more people would be doing it?

My wife is starting her own home-based business and needs a laptop. The cheapest we can find round town is 650-700 for our minimum specs (512MB, CDRW/DVD-ROM, CPU can be Celeron or Sempron, 40GB HD, 15" screen.)

So I was thinking, if I can build my own desktop and save a couple hundred bucks, why not a lappy?

But thus far, cant find where to buy the chassis, mobo, etc. Any ideas?

577432[/snapback]

theres only a few sites which are overprices

No, it'll end up costing you more, and it probably won't be worht it

our school built around 30 laptops at 800 a piece and they are widescreen and good system specs, definatlly worth the 800 we got them at, we got parts from columbus micro I believe, I can give you more info tomorrow.

If you can wait try to latch on to one of the Black Friday deals. Wal Mart is selling one for $400 that day and some other places have some wacky deals as well.

Check this site

I used this site last year to work out my shopping plan that day and got some really great deals on some various hardware for my comp (ex: 100 Gig HDD for $30 out the door, Wireless mouse for $6 each etc...) just check the ad scans and happy hunting.

Edited by Duke Atreides

i'd sooner strap an lcd to my head and carry a mini-itx backpack then have a laptop lol

577438[/snapback]

Or wait for those nano- itx's :D :D

If you can wait try to latch on to one of the Black Friday deals.  Wal Mart is selling one for $400 that day and some other places have some wacky deals as well.

Check this site

I used this site last year to work out my shopping plan that day and got some really great deals on some various hardware for my comp (ex: 100 Gig HDD for $30 out the door, Wireless mouse for $6 each etc...) just check the ad scans and happy hunting.

577502[/snapback]

I will be at the local best buy this year. I get there about 12-1am and sit in the freezing cold till about 6am hehe... Its not so much as getting great deals as it is the tradition I go ever year with a great friend / one of my high school teachers. I usually pick up a uber cheep hard drive ever year. Last year a 160gb Western Digital... Im gunna wait and see whats this year. Stuff isnt the best but eh its cheep hehe....

I stuck a pIII system it a briefcase, and it looked funky, so you could in theory build one with a decent spec (based on nano-itx) with an LCD in the top. That'll be cheap, but It won't be easy to use :P