Want To Build A Laptop

cdoggown

I will be at the local best buy this year. I get there about 12-1am and sit in the freezing cold till about 6am hehe... Its not so much as getting great deals as it is the tradition I go ever year with a great friend / one of my high school teachers. I usually pick up a uber cheep hard drive ever year. Last year a 160gb Western Digital... Im gunna wait and see whats this year. Stuff isnt the best but eh its cheep hehe....

577691[/snapback]

What state are you in? When I worked at Best Buy in AZ, Black Friday was one of the most insane experiences I have ever had in retail.

Best Buy in AZ is like Disneyland to many people. NORMAL weekends we would be so busy I wouldnt take a break, have people yelling, asking if they can take a ticket, etc. So when my Sup tried to prepare me for BF, I took it with a grain of salt.

The Monday before Thanksgiving he called a department meeting and told all of us full-timers that we needed to be at the store by 3am. He had made up large envelopes with ticket numbers associated to each of the on-sale PC's in the upcoming BF add. We were to "soft-sell" the people on the sidewalk using these envelopes, and hope to keep down the ruckus once the doors opened.

I show up at 3am on BF and attempt this process. Its working okay, there are some rather nutty people outside and whatnot, but nothing out of the ordinary.

6am Manager goes to open the door, 15 guys rush the door from the parking lot, the manager closes and locked the door and dials 911 as several fights break out in front of the store between the people who waited for 7 hours outside (about 400 people) and the parking lot bastards. Manager tells me this happens nearly every year.

6:15 = Police and Fire Marshall show up to restore order. Fire Marshall counts people as they go in the door to assure we stay under our fire code. As we max out he lets people in as people come out.

Inside it is just stupid. People climbing ladders to get their own 36" TVs from topstock, old men from Sun City punching each other in the face over a $13 Microtek scanner, Lexmark printer displays being knocked down in to aisleways to slow advancing fellow deal hunters.

At the end of the day, 1 employee was in the hospital, charges were filed in 13 cases (2 of which were employee related), and we kept 4 patrol cars in the parking lot the rest of the weekend.

You can keep BB on that day, and Im not going to fight the white trash at Wal*Mart to save. But if anyone knows a specific model number and specs on a machine that I will be able buy and then walk in and get a price adjustment after the initial bomb goes off at one of these stores, it would be appreciated.

What state are you in? When I worked at Best Buy in AZ, Black Friday was one of the most insane experiences I have ever had in retail.

Best Buy in AZ is like Disneyland to many people. NORMAL weekends we would be so busy I wouldnt take a break, have people yelling, asking if they can take a ticket, etc. So when my Sup tried to prepare me for BF, I took it with a grain of salt.

The Monday before Thanksgiving he called a department meeting and told all of us full-timers that we needed to be at the store by 3am. He had made up large envelopes with ticket numbers associated to each of the on-sale PC's in the upcoming BF add. We were to "soft-sell" the people on the sidewalk using these envelopes, and hope to keep down the ruckus once the doors opened.

I show up at 3am on BF and attempt this process. Its working okay, there are some rather nutty people outside and whatnot, but nothing out of the ordinary.

6am Manager goes to open the door, 15 guys rush the door from the parking lot, the manager closes and locked the door and dials 911 as several fights break out in front of the store between the people who waited for 7 hours outside (about 400 people) and the parking lot bastards. Manager tells me this happens nearly every year.

6:15 = Police and Fire Marshall show up to restore order. Fire Marshall counts people as they go in the door to assure we stay under our fire code. As we max out he lets people in as people come out.

Inside it is just stupid. People climbing ladders to get their own 36" TVs from topstock, old men from Sun City punching each other in the face over a $13 Microtek scanner, Lexmark printer displays being knocked down in to aisleways to slow advancing fellow deal hunters.

At the end of the day, 1 employee was in the hospital, charges were filed in 13 cases (2 of which were employee related), and we kept 4 patrol cars in the parking lot the rest of the weekend.

You can keep BB on that day, and Im not going to fight the white trash at Wal*Mart to save. But if anyone knows a specific model number and specs on a machine that I will be able buy and then walk in and get a price adjustment after the initial bomb goes off at one of these stores, it would be appreciated.

577711[/snapback]

ya know it is things like this that make me so thankful for living in a small town. lol :D but sadly even in a small town like mine it can get rather hectic at the local redneck hangout(walmart) lol. :lol:

About a year ago when i built a desktop for someone I knew, his sister asked if I could build a laptop for her, and I said I didn't think you could build a laptop. I guess I was wrong.. Lol

You can easily build a laptop, it's just you'll have to buy a chassis with a screen that fits it (I'd love to see someone attempt to make their own without the uber-machining skillz and l33t equipment) so there's very little point when lots of manufacturers will let you configure components anyways.

theres only a few sites which are overprices

No, it'll end up costing you more, and it probably won't be worht it

577434[/snapback]

:withstupid: I had considered this awhile ago, and it just wasn't worth it. After you're done, you'll not only wind up spending more than what you could have bought a similar (or better) pre-built laptop, but it'll weigh a hell of a lot more as well. The good thing about laptops are, you shouldn't be using them for gaming, so you don't have to go for super-highend expensive crap...if you are, then you're just buying a mobile desktop, which is pointless, IMHO.

If you can wait try to latch on to one of the Black Friday deals.  Wal Mart is selling one for $400 that day and some other places have some wacky deals as well.

Check this site

I used this site last year to work out my shopping plan that day and got some really great deals on some various hardware for my comp (ex: 100 Gig HDD for $30 out the door, Wireless mouse for $6 each etc...) just check the ad scans and happy hunting.

577502[/snapback]

:withstupid: Black Friday is kickass!

You can easily build a laptop, it's just you'll have to buy a chassis with a screen that fits it (I'd love to see someone attempt to make their own without the uber-machining skillz and l33t equipment) so there's very little point when lots of manufacturers will let you configure components anyways.

577719[/snapback]

:withstupid: The only thing companies like dell and sony do well, are laptops.