Sign in to follow this  
fatsheep

Heating Problem?

AMD 64 3000+ Venice

DFI Infinity NF4 Ultra

Zalman 7700 CU HS/F (installed with artic silver 5)

XFX 6600 GT

Cooler Master Centurian 5 Case

Antec Truepower 550w

In smart guardian, System1 temp is for the case and system2 is for the CPU correct? And if so why are my CPU temps in the upper 40's before any OCing?

-sheep

Edited by fatsheep

Make sure the HSF is seated correctly - that zalman with as5 should cool better then that full load @ stock speeds. Also, your temps may be way off using onboard sensors. Get a temp probe to double check your actual cpu temps.

when i burned-in my 3700+ on stock heatsink making sure it was stable first, my idle was 48C... now at stock speed it's 34, but that's a heatpipe cooler and ceramique.

i bet it's too much AS5.. Arctic Silver's site says 3/4 of a BB for the amount on an A64.. and that's exactly right. Try super cleaning everything, only using a liiiiitle bit and letting the heatsink spread it for you as you tighten it..

with that being said, see what you temp difference is with side panel on/off..

if it greatly improves with the side panel off, you know you have case airflow issues, if not, post up we'll figure it out.

I think the IDE cables may be constricting airflow a bit, but not that big of a problem. I could try rounding them though... I reinstalled the CPU fan with just a little bit of AS5 right on the center of the CPU, my temps are now 1-2c cooler, which is strange. Do you think this could just be the AS5 burning in period or something? Only thing I can think of is there is a small scratch on my zalman heatsink's base when I hold it up to the light in the center, do you think I should lap it? I'd have to find out how to lap a heatsink but if it gets these temps down then... :)

Oh and I'll look into getting a compu nurse temp probe for my next reinstall attempt of the CPU fan.

-sheep

Edited by fatsheep

I dont think a small scratch is worth all the lapping trouble in a sense thermal goo is made to fill out those imperfection AND increase the thermal transfer.

Most of us dont even give a chance to the goo to do it's job loll but it can ;)

I have my thermalright XP-90 and as hardnrg said if you run your fingernail on the base you can distinctly hear a ZZzzzzip from the coarse machining and i dont complaint of my temps. all this to say that thermal goo is doing a great job

Edited by kobalt