Lapping Is Fun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

before: 38 idle, 53 load

after: 35 idle, 45 load

oh, but i also took the ihs off at the same time lol, i'd say the lapping got me 3 degrees from the change in idle temps... will have helped bring down the load too...

575883[/snapback]

Thats great!! now you can over clock more.

and i just used a sheet or pane of glass, then i taped the sand paper on it. but my sand paper sucked. it said it was water proof , but it wasn't. Every 20 minuter i has to get a new sheet of paper.

btw using 5k or 10k paper is really cool. it feel scaley

I just got done with mine (cuz I wanna be like nrg :P) and mine was the same way.  Sanding on a flat surface, it took forever to get the center past the nickel.

I did.  Mine's totally past the nickel plating or whatever.  I used 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.  I took about 3-4c off my load temps, which is actually a little more than I had expected.  That might be enough to get this Opteron to acceptable temps at 3ghz :P

576474[/snapback]

Basically the same here. At 1.6v on my 3700 load temps are 39 to 40c in a 70f room. Getting to just bare copper took the most time. I would not use anything more agressive than 400 grit.

I just got done with mine (cuz I wanna be like nrg :P) and mine was the same way.  Sanding on a flat surface, it took forever to get the center past the nickel.

I did.  Mine's totally past the nickel plating or whatever.  I used 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.  I took about 3-4c off my load temps, which is actually a little more than I had expected.  That might be enough to get this Opteron to acceptable temps at 3ghz :P

576474[/snapback]

um, you can't be me dude lol...

concave xp-120 too... took about 1 and 1/2 hours to get all the nickel and scratches off and about 10-20 minutes for the shiny smooth...

load temps at 55-60 gave me a top occt of 2.99ghz on one of the 146's... load temps at 42-45 and it's 3.06ghz and rising...

heat really stops these chips in their tracks... i'd recommend ihs removal (if you're feeling brave, competent and willing to take the risks and work involved) and possibly water-cooling (i'm seriously considering this myself and i might make money on my opterons because one is almost 3.2ghz and the other is almost 3.1 so far...

anyways... i'm pwning your butt haha

concave xp-120 too... took about 1 and 1/2 hours to get all the nickel and scratches off and about 10-20 minutes for the shiny smooth...

load temps at 55-60 gave me a top occt of 2.99ghz on one of the 146's... load temps at 42-45 and it's 3.06ghz and rising...

heat really stops these chips in their tracks... i'd recommend ihs removal (if you're feeling brave, competent and willing to take the risks and work involved) and possibly water-cooling (i'm seriously considering this myself and i might make money on my opterons because one is almost 3.2ghz and the other is almost 3.1 so far...

576658[/snapback]

you might be the top dog right now but swifty's gettin a opeteron too, lol better watch you back

576658[/snapback]

Yeah, your clocks are better than mine, but right now I just can't justify running it much hotter. I'm still thinking about water, but don't know if it's worth the hassle and money. 2850 on stock volts is great, and I really don't need anymore at the moment. I can run any game I have at 1944res full details just fine, so how much more do I really need?

I do have a feeling that this chip has a LOT of room left though. That's what's keeping me thinking about water and more volts. I'm sitting at load temps of about 41c on stock volts, so I think I can push a few more volts into it safely, at least for the winter :)