Lapping Is Fun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to lap my waterblock after it had been shipped across the US a few times, didnt do mirror, just got the roughness gone. also lapped the crappy stock intel HS that came with my 2.5 celly, it now has NICE idle temps, and can keep a 2.66B load @ 45C on a warm day. havent seen it go much over 52C, i was hitting 62C with the 2.6 celeron b4 (the celeron runs cooler than the P4 by ~3 deg usually) Now i need to get to work converting one of these bookshelf folders to a media rig.

Can you use an electric sander?

576134[/snapback]

no, flatness is of key importance... it's no good being shiny if it's not flat... that's why i lap my heatsinks on a mirror that has near enough 0% distortion so i know the glass is very flat and not warped...

the only machine that you could possible use is one that is designed for polishing flat sheets of metal... not a hand power tool... i'd just suggest the wet-n-dry silicon carbide on glass/mirror method, it takes a while, but effort is the main expense and it's hard to go wrong

God i remmember doing mine. It had a huge concave spot in the center.

576464[/snapback]

I just got done with mine (cuz I wanna be like nrg :P) and mine was the same way. Sanding on a flat surface, it took forever to get the center past the nickel.

did you lap down to the copper? I had to do my friends for the same reason as you - I spent a good four hours lapping down through the plating down to the copper and making a mirror out of it.

576465[/snapback]

I did. Mine's totally past the nickel plating or whatever. I used 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. I took about 3-4c off my load temps, which is actually a little more than I had expected. That might be enough to get this Opteron to acceptable temps at 3ghz :P

Can you use higher grit sandpapers? (ie, 20k grit)

576500[/snapback]

yes, he said that, the more grit you have the less material you take off, for a finer quality, start out gradually at 400 and work your way up

Just lapped my heatsink, using JUST 400 grit sandpaper and it already lowered my temps by about 3-4c :blink: