Lapping Is Fun

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup... all that scratched-up, dull, machine grooved, horrible nickel is OFF... and it's shiny mirror-like copper instead :)

verran, stay tuned, i got video footage of the ihs comin off too lol

yup... all that scratched-up, dull, machine grooved, horrible nickel is OFF... and it's shiny mirror-like copper instead :)

576074[/snapback]

Yep, I did the same for my XP-90. And I gotta agree, gives you a horrible backache....

How long did it take you?

576080[/snapback]

2-2.5 hours... the hardest part was the initial 400 grit phase... getting past the nickel, scratches and grooves... after that it was easy... :)

we need that ihs guide, stat!

576082[/snapback]

lol... yeah i have all the photos... i have video footage too... but i have to install my soundcard to open any video files and right now i'm priming at 3.03ghz...

tonight i'll be swapping my 148 in for screenshots of occt and superpi for use in my ebay auction page... and i think i'm going to swap my other 146 in to see how it does with the lapped xp120 (temps before were around 60

There is a guide for lapping heatsinks on this website. I did it with my Thermaltake Volcano 11.

400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000

The best thing to do IMO is to soak the sandpaper and lay it on a flat tabletop so it'll stick to it. Then just lightly dip the bottom of the heatsink into a shallow pan of water AND a few drops of dishsoap. Lightly rub the heatsink back and forth across the paper, rinsing and redipping often. Use as smoooooth a stroke as possible so you don't round off the edges of the heatsink. Dropped my temps about 6-8C if I remember correctly (did it almost two years ago when I still had a Athlon2600!!)

--------------> iN BAD NEED OF UPGRADE!