Sign in to follow this  
markiemrboo

Laptop Hinge.. Gonna Have To Be Modded?

I just managed to get the front casing off my laptops screen to try and fix the broken hinge, it turns out to be .... worse than I thought! It's not just the plastic holding hole bits that have snapped off, it's the actual metal hinge itself that's manage to snap!

Observe....

Broken

Not broken

post-83502-0-64446700-1331123223_thumb.jpg

So, my initial idea is to just... get my little dremel drill out, drill a hole right through the case where the screw holdy hole bits should have been, bolt the broke bit of hinge back to the case and use this glue I just got to glue the broke hinge metal bit back.

I reckon that'd work pretty well, but the two screws showing on the lid would obviously look a bit ugly (i could spray them black, but they'd still be visible :P). So before I go ahead and do this, I was just gonna ask if anyone had any better ideas as to how I might fix this?

Hmm, know anyone who can weld on small stuff like that?

575397[/snapback]

Nopes? :thumbs-up: I imagine even if I did it'd just snap again eventually, because it wouldn't be screwed to anything any more...?

Check on Ebay for replacement parts. I've had to swap the hinge assembly out of my wife's Latitude D600, and that's where I got the Hinge assembly.

go down to one of the chemistry labs at uni and ask them for something that'll melt the metal so you can bung 'em back together ;)

go down to one of the chemistry labs at uni and ask them for something that'll melt the metal so you can bung 'em back together ;)

589109[/snapback]

lol sounds like a plan. Yeah, been too busy to actually bother with it really! Still sitting here broken (but usable) with the casing off! Discovered the hinge itself is actually really quite seized up too so... meh.... dunno.

Love the sig image by the way!!