Sign in to follow this  
bass_freak

Crossover cable

I need to make a crossover cable and sad but true, i don't know what order to put the wires (cat 5). Any and all help is welcome....

should have a networking catogory on the form linuxprox :)

For your crossover cable, one end of the CAT-5 cable should be teminated in this order: Pin1-W/Orange, Pin2-Orange, Pin3-W/Green, Pin4-Blue, Pin5-W/Blue, Pin6-Green, Pin7-W/Brown, Pin8-Brown. The other end should be teminated in this order: Pin1-W/Green, Pin2-Green, Pin3-W/Orange, Pin4-Blue, Pin5-W/Blue, Pin6-Orange, Pin7-W/Brown, Pin8-Brown. Its just a flip of pins 1,2 & 3,6 or pairs 2 & 3

does it mater what end goes to what computer. I don't think that it does, but i want to make sure my computer gets the better end of the deal, i am hooking to another computer in the house, that only conects at 21.6k even tho it has a 56k modem (its an HP, what do you expect it will do). Also cable internet is going to soon be avilable in my town, and i don't want to buy 2 modems (i am cheap). Mine will be ther "server" for the other one.

You are correct, It doesn't matter which end goes to either computer. If you are planing on using a cable modem in the near future. (this doesn't aply if you are going to use a cable modem that connects to a USB port) You might be better off getting a small 10/100 switch for the computers and the plug the cable modem into it. otherwise you are going to have to setup 2 NICs on your 1st computer.

i have got 2 NIC cards in it right now, but am thinking of getting a hub, so that i can tie the other computers in our house into the network, i am just worried about bog, so i have given the family the impresion that it can't be done :).

The bog is hardly noticable, unless you are downloading a file and someone else goes to download a file. But just using the web and email it runs smooth, even if someone else is downloading a file. I have 3 of my 4 networked computers setup to use the iternet through a cable modem. and with each of them downloading files they all get speeds much faster than a 56K

I like to have the extra speed for my LAN part of it.. I transfer large files like movies and stuff from one box to the other..

That's why I was thinking about a switch for him..

but unless he does that, your right there is no need for him to buy a switch..

Kinda upsets people when in the middle of a good old TFC (Half Life) game you go and bring lag to the server :)

I think i have seen linux prox in a game before, if i recall he was on red team and killed me multiple times in a row  ???