What Degree Could I Get...

Christian3807

if you want to use your hands follow ste advice but if you want to make 100k a year more use your brain. analysts see data companies get and find ways to make their companies make more money.in turn you get paid $$$$$ also they can plan infrastructure ie. what computers to get like say you are a bank of america analyst u find out what is best for your company so you recomend what to get. A lot of money is involved and since you seem smart and have a head start then i recomend this

574182[/snapback]

Could you give me more info........and what degree would I most likely need...

And would jobs in graphics and software make decent salaries and are the degrees exrtremely hard to receive? :P

Edit: Computer Science Degree? I'm thinking this is what'll need....

Edited by Christian3807

psh. i majored in Applied Economics and Management....took just one intro-level CS course, and I'm a Network Administrator now :P. I'll eventually get some certs, but degrees don't just cater to a specific career. Find a subject you're interested in and take courses in it. If you major in anything computer-related, it won't be too difficult to test the waters in various fields. After taking some courses, you may discover your interest change to something you didn't expect you'd like.

I majored in computer engineering and I liked it a lot because it's very diverse. I took a lot of CS courses (got a minor), so I can code pretty darn well in several languages. I took a few computer archetecture courses so I understand how the hardware works and how it all ties together. I also took a few operating system courses so I understand those too. Then I got a lot of electrical engineering classes so I understand circuit level design and advanced electrical theory. Then I did digital logic courses to understand binary and AND, OR, XOR, NAND, NOR gates etc. I also even got a course on transistor level logic design where I actually built a lame (but working) version of a cpu and actually layed it all out on the PCB. That was a great course!

Overall, I really liked computer engineering because it's a VERY diverse major and the fact that it's from the engineering college and not the general arts/sciences always looks a little impressive.

Last I knew, Computer Engineering was actually CS with an Electrical Engineering minor...so really that could take you basically anywhere.

574301[/snapback]

I don't think it necessarily has to be laid out like that. I think it just refers to any combination of EE, CS and IS.

But what does a electrical engineer do? And is it the same as a computer engineer? I would need to get a degree in Computer Engineering?

I'm thinking about going here guys...

http://www.rice.edu/

17th best school in U.S......good enough for me... :P

P.S. How much do you make anually BigRed? :)

Edited by Christian3807

just from IT related stuff... mid 6 figures

EE and CE are NOT the same jobs. EE specializing in computers would be layout of circiut boards, things like that. CE would be more like planning out a network or roll out of a new computer system in an office... or even programming.