Ocing A Evga 6600gt

deagle86

In my current system i have a evga 6600gt. I recently bought a Zalman VF700 cu cause i was tired of the noisy stock fan. I was wondering how easy it was to overclock a video card and if in ocing a 6600gt would i see a noticable difference (in games such as BF2) or should i just leave it as is and not even take the risk.

one of my friends said all i needed was a program called coolbits, but he wasny sure exactly how to do it.

just get Rivatuner, enable overclocking, if your card comes at 500/900 start with 550/1050 and see if it will run 3DMark 05 without artifacts, move up from there, 600/1200 is not unheard of, especially with good cooling

its free thats what we all use. and artifacts are when the screan flashes . you will notice something is obviously wrong. u will see lines and weird patterns. its agp right cuz last time i checked zalmas cga cooler didnt work with pcie cards

No its a PCIe, looks like ill be taking the zalman back and getting an arctic cooler that will actually fit since i havent actual put it on yet. So all i need to do is install rivatuner, and from some screenshots ive seen, slide the speeds up in small increments at a time, running 3dmark05 in between checking for screen flashes and graphical corruptions? also, is this just gonna be a waste of time or will i notice a differnce when playing games such as battlefield2?

ok, one last set questions someone can hopefully help me with. Is there a certain ratio that i need to keep the core and memeory clock speed too (stock is at 500/1000), and do i change them under lower power 3D or performance 3D (do i need to do anything to 2d)?

ok so i just ran it stock on 3Dmark 05 and got 3500. Is that good? cause i dont exactly know what it means. only thing i know is the higher the better. Also, how do you determine your temp during load, and what is a relatively safe temp to operate at?

Edited by deagle86

so here are my results after i installed the zalman vf700 on my evga 6600gt PCIe:

I currently have it OCed at 570/1070 with idles temps of 44-46 and load temps of 57-58 degreess.

3Dmark 05: 3732

3Dmark 03: 7093

should i go further with the overclock or am i pushing it as far as it will go. Because i really dont wanna burn this one out and have to buy another.

the 3dmark05 score looks right, using my 6600GT at 600/1200 scoring 4114 as a reference, feel free to overclock until you start to see things you didn't see before, when you do, hit the ESC button to stop the benchmark and lower clocks by 5-10Mhz, then run again, going over for short periods of time wont hurt anything