Amd Speeds?

Ok, so I am familiar mostly with Intel pentium processors, the more "ghz" it has for me the faster it is. I have a 3.4 ghz processor w/hyper threading, but all that means to me is that its faster than a 3.2 or 2.8 etc.

How do I compare the Intel pentium processors (3.4ghz) to an AMD with 2.0 ghz if its supposed to be a faster motherboard?

Thanks

well, "on paper," the easiest way to compare your 3.4 P4 is to say that it is similar to a 3400+ AMD64. Same goes for all of the other processors in the AMD system. AMD64 3200+ = 3.2Ghz P4. 3800+ = 3.8Ghz P4, and so on. This is the easiest way to look at it, though we all know that in most practical purposes, an AMD64 3200+ will outperform a 3.2Ghz P4, save for say video encoding and all the other crap that people after me are going to mention :lol:

It's really impossible to look at the sheer clockspeed of an AMD64 and compare it to a P4's clockspeed. A skt754 3400+ runs at 2.2Ghz, while a skt939 3500+ and a skt939 3700+ both run at 2.2Ghz also. Obviosuly, a 3700+ will beat the hell out of a skt754 3400+. That's when we get into bandwidth and cache, which is a whole 'nother can of worms. But, for all practical purposes, just look at the processor rating (3200+) and know that it best compares to a 3.2Ghz P4.

well, "on paper," the easiest way to compare your 3.4 P4 is to say that it is similar to a 3400+ AMD64.  Same goes for all of the other processors in the AMD system.  AMD64 3200+ = 3.2Ghz P4.      3800+ = 3.8Ghz P4, and so on.  This is the easiest way to look at it, though we all know that in most practical purposes, an AMD64 3200+ will outperform a 3.2Ghz P4, save for say video encoding and all the other crap that people after me are going to mention :lol:

572576[/snapback]

Yep, even though AMD says that's not what the performance rating(2000+/3000+/3200+ etc) relates to, it works out close in overall perofrmance.

it really isn't at all... any of the socket A's gets stomped on by the A64's...

best way to compare processors?

benchmarks... various benchmarks...

573927[/snapback]

Thats why the a64's pr has the + to account for the addition of all the extra instruction sets, onboard memory controller,ect...

so a 3200 would have out performed the orginal t-bred at 3.2ghz

really the rating system is screwed up but as it is it confuses enough people

Edited by caffeinejunkie