Favorite Old Pc Brand

LoArmistead

Welp, I debated on putting this is the Alley, but it was hardware related, so heck why not. My question is, what is yall's favorite brand of older computers?

My personal favorite is AST. They were really nice computers, reasonably priced, and still hold up. My 166mhz P2 AST rig that I bought in 1995 is now at my grandma's house. It is STILL running strong. It has never been reformatted. The only hardware that has gone out has been the CD-Rom and the modem (both due to lightning). The CD-rom and modem were replaced in 1997. All the same files from 1995 on up are still on it, and my grandma uses it to get online everyday. Go AST!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure.  I also have a p 90mhz lying around in the basement that still runs.  The brand was... "Microlab" or something.

572208[/snapback]

:withstupid:

BTW I remember my first not-owned game. Dune 2000. Copied CD. I wondered how they could write it to a cd, it was a TDK CD-R. :P

I was happy as its minimum req's were 90 mhz. I had 2 90 mhz pc's. One my other grandpa uses now. He used to have a 386, he still has it with a 1.44 and 5 1/2" floppy drives. I forgot it's brand. The power buttons always got stuck tho. And they were square.

Also, I remember playing simcity 1 on windows 3.1 (or 3.11 I cant tell the difference). I remember how you had to double-click the [-] button to close it. Aaaah good memories lol :D

Edited by cold_snipe

Welp, I debated on putting this is the Alley, but it was hardware related, so heck why not.  My question is, what is yall's favorite brand of older computers? 

My personal favorite is AST.  They were really nice computers, reasonably priced, and still hold up.  My 166mhz P2 AST rig that I bought in 1995 is now at my grandma's house.  It is STILL running strong.  It has never been reformatted.  The only hardware that has gone out has been the CD-Rom and the modem (both due to lightning).  The CD-rom and modem were replaced in 1997.  All the same files from 1995 on up are still on it, and my grandma uses it to get online everyday.  Go AST!

572206[/snapback]

Im with you on this!

AST all the Way!!

I had a Intel Pentium 1 133mhz version back in 1995 aswell.

That thing was never formated either, althogh it did get extra memory (from 16mb to 64mb) and extra hardrives (from 1 2GB drive, to 3 2GB drives, 6GB in total)

I belive it is still running today. Although I dont have it anymore, I think it was given to my dads secratary!

Packard Bell Legend... 75Mhz 4 mb of ram 1mb of video memory 800 MB hard drive... i could play the game Journey Man .. it was GREAT.. and i still think jorney man was and still is one of the best games.. :)

the only computer i remember even having a brand was an Olivetti M280 (286 - 8MHz lol) wow that was a while ago now...

after that me and my dad custom built our own rigs from a mixture of new and salvaged parts...

it's not really my favourite... i remember the noisy fan decelerated for about 5 minutes after shutting off and made a sound like an aeroplane landing :lol: so yeah, as it's the only branded pc, i guess it's my favourite...

only because of the sound effects tho lol

Packard Bell Legend... 75Mhz 4 mb of ram 1mb of video memory 800 MB hard drive... i could play the game Journey Man .. it was GREAT.. and i still think jorney man was and still is one of the best games.. :)

572353[/snapback]

Journey man was awesome. I had a packard bell to. I would like to see that game remade. hehe...