Adding Another Rig Next Week

Sqopt

Gents,

Well this folding thing sure is addictive. And therefore I must get some more gear. You, comrades, get to help me make this difficult choice.

I'm conscious of WU per unit time, but also to some extent WU per unit money.

My current fleet includes:

1 x AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.4GHz

1 x Pentium M laptop @ 0.9 - 1.2 GHz

1 x Pentium M laptop @ 1.8GHz

5 x 1 GHz PIII Coppermine

Anyhow, my ideas are:

1.) AMD

a.) Dual-core S939

b.) Single S940

c.) el cheapo Socket A of some kind.

2.) INTC

a.) modernish P4 with HT

b.) dual core P4

c.) Xeon of some sort

d.) some el cheapo celeron or such.

I'm probably going to run diskless linux, or maybe a live CD. What say you?

Sqopt

If you are going diskless, then I would go for option C) and build a couple of folding rigs in the 2600+ - 3000+ category, no cases and 256MB RAM - you should be able to bring one in under $250.

If you are going diskless, then I would go for option C) and build a couple of folding rigs in the 2600+ - 3000+ category, no cases and 256MB RAM - you should be able to bring one in under $250.

571859[/snapback]

Do you, in effect, mean that there's a bang-for-the-buck attractiveness to the lower-end CPUs when one does not have to pay for an associated HDD?

In any event, I think I have now decided that I'm going to go diskless regardless of what CPU I select. And the cheaper the CPU, the more disklessness will help the bang/buck.

Under what circumstances, if any, are the higher end gourmet processors the chips of choice?

Thanks for the viewpoint,

Sqopt

In folding, speed is king, so the faster the processor, the more work you can accomplish. However, component cost is also an issue as well as cost of electricity etc. A "gourmet" processor like a high-end AMD chip will complete a given work unit faster than a Socket A processor. However, you can assemble several AND Barton 3000+ rigs for the price of a top end A64 chip and in the end, produce more results. I have 5 AMD Bartons running and they're quite capable folders. It all depends on your budget and your level of addiction :P

welcome to the addiction.

if ya already got an xbox, mod it and fold on it.  nice 40 ppd.  im hopin to buy some off my friends when they go out and get their 360's add them to my army. 

:foldon:  :foldon:

572545[/snapback]

Just wont be playing on XBOX live with 95% of the modded XBOX systems. You'll still need that unmodded HDD for gaming, well LIVE based gaming anyway.

I need to get mine setup with a second HDD and linux, but then i have to a, make keyboard adpaters or b think for a darn min and i think the USB headers on the USB daughter board in mine are standard type...so just plug in one of those PCI are two port things where controllers 3/4 go....hummm, ok me need to crack open the XBOX again i see :D

Just wont be playing on XBOX live with 95% of the modded XBOX systems.  You'll still need that unmodded HDD for gaming, well LIVE based gaming anyway. 

I need to get mine setup with a second HDD and linux, but then i have to a, make keyboard adpaters or b think for a darn min and i think the USB headers on the USB daughter board in mine are standard type...so just plug in one of those PCI are two port things where controllers 3/4 go....hummm, ok me need to crack open the XBOX again i see :D

572563[/snapback]

Well, no Xboxen here, but I did get a reasonably successful proof-of-concept diskless linux machine up and running.

Of course it's only a PIII @ 500 MHz, so it's not really useful, but still I am stoked because the toughest part of getting my diskless farm is behind me.

As far as the actual hardware, I'm vacillating between going for dual-core AMD S939, a single-core Opteron (just to try it) or a coupla socket-A machines. AUGH! It's driving me *crazy*!

:)

Sqopt

id probably go with a few bartons or a dual core.

573636[/snapback]

Looks like I can run a 1.8GHz Duron, RAM, and Mobo for $100 on newegg. Cheeeeap!

Barton chips seem to be about 80-100 bucks on eBay, or roughly twice the cost of the 1.8 Duron. Oh, how I'd love to know if the performance is >2x higher.

Sqopt

Well, I finally pulled the trigger, and ordered some new folding kit. I've decided to give Intel a try on a dedicated folding sled.

From what I could tell, folding is hungry for cache. Loves the stuff, in fact. So I got a 3GHz P4 Prescott with 2MB L2 cache. No plans to overclock initially, but of course we have all promised that at one time or another. :P

My informal benchmarks so far put my 1200MHz Pentium M (1MB L2 cache) at almost exactly 1/2 the speed of my Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.4GHz (512K L2). So I'm expecting this new P4 system to really scream along nicely.

Anyone have good (or bad...or any...) experiences with the P4 Prescott in S775?

Sqopt