Detaching Heatsink

STEM

HELP please.

I took out my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphics card, took the spring-loaded clips off the heatsink and for good measure unscrewed the fan and removed it.

The heatsink is attached to the GPU by a black rubbery gunk - it seems to be the same stuff that was attaching the heatsink on the Intel 2.4 cpu - thermal compound or paste. I used a very sharp craft blade to try to remove any excess gunk around the GPU and then used a palette knife along an edge and then at a corner to try to prise the heatsink off - UNSUCCESSFULLY.

After a number of more and more forceful efforts I gave up and put the pc back together again - with a sigh of relief that I have not damaged the card!

I cannot get anything between the heatsink and the processor so that the force I am applying is between them rather than between the heatsink and the connections of the gpu to the board - if you see what I mean - I am VERY nervous about applying more force - the only section which it seems at all responsible to use any force is across the contacts on the lower edge of the card.

I really can't afford to wreck my expensive (for me) graphics card.

Who can tell me how to remove this heatsink without damaging the card?

There are lots of tiny elements (resistors/transistors?) which I dare not allow anything to touch like a slipping blade.

HELP please.

absolute best i've seen - tape head cleaner (get it at radio shack or anything like it) It's Acetone/Ethanol based.. which gets nail polish off, It actually has a 0% residue versus isopropyl alcohol's .1%

571303[/snapback]

Thanks, I can see how this would clean the muck off when it was detached but as the gunk is such a thin layer deeply embedded between processor and heatsink surely it would take an age and almost need saturating before it got the heatsink off?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, I can see how this would clean the muck off when it was detached but as the gunk is such a thin layer deeply embedded between processor and heatsink surely it would take an age and almost need saturating before it got the heatsink off?

571318[/snapback]

can you not just get some string between it (the stuff you use to floss should do) and use that as a string saw?.

I usually slip a plastic card between the Video card and the heat sink than i can apply more torque with a thin paint spatula between the plastic card and the hs it usually works :unsure: it did even when i used a thin coat of thermal epoxy ;)

Edited by kobalt

I think I know what he's talking about. It's the sort of thermal compound that held the heatsinks onto the old Voodoo cards. It's nearly impossible to even make it move, it doesn't do any good to use a card to 'try' and pry it off, or anything for that matter, it's like cement.

I had an old card that came out of one of the first Dell XPSs, and it had the same stuff on there, and you could see the layer of it between the gpu and the heatsink. I tried heating it up, but it still wouldn't budge, I resorted to a screwdriver, since I would never use the card, so I wouldn't mind if it wrecked the card, and it tore the gpu right off the pcb. If this is the same sort of stuff, I wouldn't try it.