Amd K6-2 Or Celeron?

Alighty. I have 2 older systems in my hands right now, and I not sure what one to keep. I want the better performing one for my self, and the other will goto e-bay kids who dont know much about comps. lol Anyways.

The first system:

Celeron 466mhz

Compaq Mobo

The Second System:

AMD K6-2 400mhz

Asus P5-99MV(Or something like that)

Anyways, I dont care as much about the mobos becaue its not like im gunna oc these or ne thing lol. But from a over all standpoint.. What would be better? FYI, This will be used as a Vent server and possabley a really basic web server... no games or w/e.... and yes it will be folding :foldon:

Soooo the AMD system or The Celeron?

The K6-2's were pathetic in FPU performance as the FPU only ran at half the speed of the processor. So in reality, when you bought a K6-2 350, in reality it would be like gaming with a Pentium 166-200 MHz system.

The Celeron has a full speed FPU, but the Celeron's back in that day were lucky to have 128K L2 cache vs the 256K in the K6-2. Regardless, the Pentium II and Celeron A were well known for outperforming the K6-2.

Edited by FxXP

Lol, so Ill prob end up selling the amd one on e-bay and buying an better mobo for my celeron for like 10 bucks or something, or just stay w. the compaq. Ive been useing that box as my vent server for the past year or so. The specs are

192Mb ram

40gb hd

Creative CD-RW

Some 10/100 Lan card

Its alight, and i actuaily have some extra ram laying arround, so I could upgrade to like 388Mb Pc100.

just google for sisoft sandra itll be there . i still say only way to check it for sure is to run benchmarks on both. you never know one could have a bottleneck somewhere in the system. oh yeah make sure to bench mark the same ram in each machine

Celeron, better FPU and it should actually OC pretty well.

The K6-2s where only really good for gaming with stuff that used 3d now. In other stuff I doubt youd see a big perfromance difference between the two.

572240[/snapback]

Well my friend, you are dead on w. the 3d part. I tested both comps w. sistofts both of the cpu test. The celeron owned it in everything except Media scores.

Scores are as follows:

-Arithmetic

~Celeron

Dhrystone ALU 1581 MIPS

Whitestone FPU 609 MFLOPS

~AMD

ALU 940 MIPS

FUP 457 MFLOPS

-Media

~Celeron

Integer x4 iMMX 3047it/s

Floating Point 1x FPU 1143it/s

~AMD

Integer x4 iMMX 2130it/s

Floating Point x2 a3D Now! 2610it/s

As for OCing, its a compaq mobo, theirs no way into the bios.. But in anycase, im staying w. intel this time...

Sry Clay Meow </3 :P