Home Theater

Nodgiles

Im looking to build a hmoe theatre unit for my living room and I want to set it up with 7.1 surround sound. Im looking at sound cards and Im kinda stumped. Id really like to get something with THX but the best I find is Dolby Digital. I do see some cards with a EAX

you want to make a HTPC (Home Theater PC)?

try googling HTPC and see what you come up with, i started to try to build one myself, but there's still alot of software fenagling that has to be done.......since i already have a home theater setup with DVR and all, it was useless for me

Dolby Digital is an encoding/decoding process. THX is a standard for sound quality. EAX is an 'environment virtualization' sorta thing. None of these three things can be compared with each other because they aren't even related in the first place.

Dolby Digital is an encoding/decoding process. THX is a standard for sound quality. EAX is an 'environment virtualization' sorta thing. None of these three things can be compared with each other because they aren't even related in the first place.

I agree. Home theater is one of my big hobbies and THX is really something that you show not be worrying about. Its a certification rather than a decoding software. IMO its a waste of money because all it does it raise the price of the product. There are alot of good non THX certified gear out there and are they worse? no, the companies just don't want to spend the extra $$$$ to get the certification. I would just worry about getting all the latest Dolby Digital and DTS formats that are currently available rather than worrying about the THX gear. I would also recommend spending more money onthe speakers rather than the actual electronics because, speakers go much further interms of being future proof then the electonics them selfs.

Goldeneye

Edited by Goldeneye

if you get a home thearter in a box..... well... then id doesnt deserve to be called a home thearter...

how much do you want to spend on speakers (a decent 7.1 will be about 1k)

571057[/snapback]

i beg to differ!

i bought a Sony setup, was about $400 from Walmart or somewhere like that, maybe was Best Buy....cant remember, but with the speakers mounted from ceiling mounts, running on Optical Toslink and digital coaxial inputs from my pother components, it rocks!

i can put in Band of Brothers, switch to DTS which i prefer over DD, and crank that sucker up and it sounds absolutely amazing, clear, accurate, all in the comfort of my own living room

I agree with Gravy

HTIB (Home theater in a box) systems are really ment for people who are on a small busget and want simplicity and something that sounds good. I would say the most HTIB do a pretty good job. Can you get better? yes but now you are starting to get into the 4 - 5 digit price range and its more complicated interms of set up. I myslef have a 10K HT set up, and plan to do a few upgrades to it. Compared to a HTIB its set up is rather more complicated than just hook up and go. Does mine sound better than a HTIB? yes i can probably say that it out preforms any HTIB, but I am not saying that my system is the best because its not. You can still get better than what I have that would take my system tot the cleaners, but again you have to spend more tha 10K so you can see where this is going. I would say that for his budget and what he want a HTIB is perfect for his needs and it will sound very good once hes has it all up and running.

Good luck :)

Goldeneye

For a HTPC sound card, the only good solution at a reasonable price IMO is the HiTeC Digital X-Mystique (link in my sig). Until Creative makes a card with a DD encoder, I will gladly boycott their sound cards.

I'm going to agree with the majority of people here on the fact that THX isn't something that is considered "necessary" for a home theater system. Its just certification that ensures better picture & sound, but most products dont have it because the manufacturers dont want to spend the time & money to have their product certified.

and out of curiosity, how much are you planning on spending for your hometheater? (reciever, speakers & sub)

not only is THX not really worth it, but for a true THX certified system, you need not only THX components, but cables, speakers, etc. That, and it's not that widely used, like DTS or DD. DOn't worry about THX.

Do you plan on using your computer as the amplifier or are you wanting it to just be the media server portion of it?