Weak P.s. Contributing To Excessive Heat?

bob6

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but this group helped so much last time, I figured I would give it a shot again.

My CPU has been overheating like crazy lately. It gets up to about 80C then locks up. I have a P4 3.2 GHz. I run everything at stock speeds and voltages, yet it's been overheating. If I drop the core voltage down to 1.40V, it seems to run a little cooler. Idles around 40C, but it still jumps up to the mid to high 70s under heavy load. And when I run it with the core voltage set at 1.40, stability suffers. It doesn't lock up, but it tends to reboot itself.

Something I've noticed. MBM5 reports that the +12 Volt line averages around 10.76 volts, all the other voltages seem in the normal range. (+3.3V averages 3.22) Here's the question... Does a weak power supply increase CPU heat?

Here's a snapshot of what I run:

Antec Mini Tower LAN BOY Case with stock True Blue power supply--side panel always off (I don't even know if I still have it)

Boxed (retail) Intel P4 3.2 GHz CPU (800 MHz, 478P, 512K)

ZALMAN CNPS7000A-CU Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink--without the throttle. I run it at full RPMs all the time.

Kingston HyperX PC3700 RAM - 2 @ 512MB with heat spreaders.

2 WD 7200 RPM 160 GB SATA hard drives run with SATA RAID

Gigabyte 8IK1100 MB with latest flash. Intel i875 chipset

EVGA - NVidia GeForce FX5900SE 128MB Video Card

Added two additional Antec case fans, intake in the front, exhaust below the power supply in the back. Nothing special, just a couple of medium-quiet, low CFM 80mm fans.

Thanks!