Business Network Really Need Upgrading?

tsamb.

My dad's business just sent me a proposal from a company that suggests they should immediately upgrade their server, tape drive etc.

I'm not IT expert, but a lot of it sounds like balony, so I'm asking the opinion of all of you business IT experts.

The company has about 20 people working at the office. At the moment they have a fat client set up and everyone has their own computer with software that connects to the domain. This IT proposed we move to a thin client set up. Why? When you've already got all the computers already loaded with the software (not to mention the processing power to run it).

They've also specified this as an upgrade:

HP Proliant ML350G4

► Intel Xeon Processor/s with 800Mhz Front Side bus

► Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T)

► 6 slots, 4x PCI-X Slots, 2x PCI Express Slots

► 10/8 Bays, 1x Floppy, 1x CD, 2x 5.25" Ext,

► 6 Hot Plug/4 Non Hot Plug

► 8GB memory maximum PC2700 DDR SDRAM with ECC,

333Mhz

► Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

► Integrated Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000, NC7761

► Integrated ATI RAGE XL Video Controller 8MB

► Standard PS/2 mouse & hot plug keyboard, 3 USB ports

► Supports Windows Server 2000/2003, Netware, LINUX

► Insight Manager and SmartStart

i'm no server expert, but i would think it would depend a great deal on what you need the server for. if all you wanted was to be able to do was systemic backups, and share data from client to client, then i would say this is tremendous overkill for 20 computers. besides, as i count there's only 216gigs of storage space in that setup--seems kinda puny by today's standards. if, however, your dad runs a video editing service, and you needed to be able to stream multiple video sequences to each computer simultaneously, then you might need something with that kind of horsepower. even still, a server with 216gigs of storage space seems kinda weak.

For 20 people, no that is silly, however, if they plan to grow fast and large, then maybe yes, but for now, as a network engineer, i would say if you already have everything, and nothing is going wrong, why do you need to upgrade? Just want to spend money?>

That's the file & exchange server (they've also quoted a new terminal server, similar specs), I'm assuming if they went to a thin client system, all of the processing power would be done on the server. That's why it's so beefy. But I don't know why they would switch, especially when it costs so much.

The company's a law office so no, there is no huge amount of data being sent between computers. Basically, the only usage the network/computers get is word processing, email, calender and internet.

i think it was over kill on the har drives. i would use 3 or 4 144gig 10k in a raid 5.

and i bet that warrenty cost a lot too, but that is money well spent on a 5000 computer

For only 20 users, I'd say its a pretty big investment for the equipment. The only advantage I could see is by using thin clients, they can manage the software on just the server, so there is less chance of each computer having its own set of software problems. I still don't think the price is worth doing it though.

Ok so they need new PC's but what about new routers, switches, repeaters and all the networking stuff, do they need to replace any of that or buy it new?

No, all of the wiring is fine. The whole building has got Cat6 throughout and the current servers are hooked to gigabit switches. All of the patching etc is fine and doesn't need upgrading. And it ain't new PCs, it's just two new servers.

Okay we run a thin client server at work. The company is about 60 people. The telemarketers, however, aren't connected to the domain, but do access the intranet (but only use IE). Our mail server is separate, so is our web server. And not ALL programs run thru the server, only the main ones we use (like for shipping, accounting, etc). In any case, none of our systems are as beefy as that. I'm looking into going for dual-opterons for a new web server, but I'm pretty sure our current main server is just a single-cpu xeon (I should really check, lol). I'd say, if you're really looking to upgrade your server, price what it would cost you to build it yourself. Then look for places to do build and/or host it for you (search for "colocation" servers in your local area). 10k is way too much. But I'm confused on what you mean by "The whole deal is in the 10s of thousands" compared to the $5k you quote. Are you talking about server storage for a certain amount of time?

When I say 10s of thousands of dollars, that is the whole quote. The 8k is just for each server. They've also included Windows SBS 2003 with 20 licenses in the quote, a tape drive with tapes, VPN software, and labour. That is what is costing the money.

well you only need win03 server edition on your servers, you don't need them on the other computers, for those you can use winxp. tape drives are out-dated. If you need backup, there are better means (mirrored drives, external harddrives, etc). We run daily backups or the important files, and then each morning I take the 20gig USB drive from my boss and copy the backup files to it. We also run monthly backups for accounting and shipping.

But nevertheless, as I said, personally I think that's overkill. When considering upgrading, I think you should think about what you currently use and your needs going forward. Is your server adequate right now? How much expansion do you see in the next couple of years? Is obtaining more processing speed your key need? More storage space? More security? Better power backup? etc etc.