Dfi Nf4 Temps

OK, I've set up my DFI nf4 SLI-DR, and first off I have to say that I love this board. I was kinda worried that all the tweaks would be a bit over my head but I have to say that while there are some settings that still confuse me, the overall setup and base config was really straight-forward. Also, the vcore just sits there. My neo2 would bounce up and down .016v in CPU-Z, but this thing just sits right where it's should. (Is it sad that solid voltages surprise me? :P) It could be the new Tagan 480 PSU (which IS sweet) but I'm thinking it's the mega power from the DFI.

Anyways.... I'm wondering what the concensus is on the temp sensors on these DFI nf4 boards. I know I know, I should use a probe, and I hope to get a good fan controller with a few soon, but for now I don't really have one that's really great. Anyways, MBM, SpeedFan, and Everest all say that my Opteron is idling at 36-38c on 1.5v. That seems really high for an XP-120 with a 70cfm fan. And the ambient sensor says 29-30c while reliable thermometers say 21-22c.

So the question.... the DFI nf4s are pretty darn popular.... have you guys found that the sensors are reliable compared to probes or no? Any feedback here?

The Socket 939 opterons do run pretty warm/hot, so those readings of your temps should be fairly close.. As far as voltages go, measure them directly on the mobo with a Digital Multimeter (details here).

One more thing, please get rid of the stock chipset fan and replace it with something like the Evercool VC-RE (old post).

I would say that they are as reliable as can be expected. The ambient sensor is actually your pwm sensor. Just to give you a comparison. My 3700 sandiego with similar cooling (XP 120 with a 75cfm fan) idles at 34c in a 75f room. Load temp is 43 with 1.6v while folding. Prime 95 runs slightly warmer at 45c. The air flow through my case is great ,3 120 mm fans in ,2 120mm fans plus the psu out so case temp is the same as outside the case. I use mbm5 instead of smartguardian just because i like mbm better. If you have not gotten the config file for mbm at DFI' forums you should try it out. The voltages on mine change very little at all . Voltages pretty much stay right where you set them. Plus if you have an ATI graphics card you can use ati tool to measure temps and have it display in mbm.

Thanks for the feedback guys, that's what I needed to hear. It's looking like these temps are actually not too far off. This thing just runs really hot. The bad news is that I need 1.5v to be truely stable at 260x11, which means an OCCT load max temp of about 54c. And that's in the chilly michigan winter air (21c). That's just a little toastier than I'm comfortable with for 24/7 style computing. The good news is that it seems to like 250x11 (2750) on stock 1.36v, and the full load there is only about 43c.

This chip really could push me over the edge to watercooling though. It's bench stable at 275x11 (3022) with only 1.5v, and seems to be still responding to voltage, so if I were to get better cooling, I bet this thing would go well over 3ghz.

As far as the chipset cooler, I have looked at your pics (lilkev) TONS of times, and that fan looks better and seems to cool better and quieter too, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck FINDING it :P I haven't found a place to buy it yet, but I would seriously consider it if I could.

As for measuring the voltage "at the spot", I'm impressed with your knowledge of this board's workings, but I doubt I'll be weaseling my multimeter probe down in there with this huge XP-120 on there and ram in the bottom slot. I think I'm going to just take CPU-Z's word for it, for now :P I will say though that I picked up this Tagan PSU based mostly on what you've shown of it and said about it, and it seems REALLY solid so far. I'm really really happy with it.

As far as the chipset cooler, I have looked at your pics (lilkev) TONS of times, and that fan looks better and seems to cool better and quieter too, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck FINDING it tongue.gif I haven't found a place to buy it yet, but I would seriously consider it if I could.

Linky (currently out of stock)

Thank me later for the link when you buy it and install it. :D