Big Problems!

Hi guys,

I recently took my rig apart and replaced the hsf to stock as the one i was using was pretty dead. I kinda broke my gfx card in the process and will hopefully be getting it replaced. Well i'm running with a Voodoo 5 in the meantime and i've been getting some lockups today. I checked the temps and the cpu was around 48 while ripping a dvd...This is Abit temps which are known to be too high...

Well, the last time it locked up, i couldn't get it to post again. I tried clearing the cmos and taking out everything and running. I got it to post once and i went into the bios and it locked up again...I haven't got another rig to test anything on but i'm thinking it's possibly the cpu, not quite sure though...When it's trying to boot, it keeps trying to read the dvd drive, i disconnected it and it's just not posting. I'm gonna pull it apart and reseat the cpu but i doubt it'll make a difference, anyone any ideas?

I reseated the ram after it wouldn't boot at all, then it booted and crashed while i was in the bios. I just booted it again and got into windows, so now i'm not sure if it's a voltage issue or ram or what. Gonna try replacing the hsf and checking out the mobo for any damage...

LoL nah, i set the vid card down fan facing up and i think it must have damaged it...Took it out yesterday morning to find a transistor hanging off...Stuck it on with tape and worked but couldn't play any games, so contacted ATI for an RMA number. I'll be danged if i'm gonna waste $650, good thing is, if they're gonna replace it, they'll most likely give me a PE as i haven't seen many plain XT's around :P

i did a rebuild last night and it seemed fine...No more crashes or random restarts. This morning when i went to turn it on, it wouldn't post and gave me a long error beep and i had to restart a couple of times before it would post. I'm not sure what the problem is, this happened once before when i was OC'ing but it's at stock speeds now. Could my mobo or psu be getting a toe tag? I'm running out of idea's...I did drop a stick of ram last night when i was putting it back together, but it seems fine and has been running all day without problems. Just not sure about cold boots :unsure:

reseat your RAM, and let the computer cool down for about 2 hours then try to cold boot it, instead of warm booting.

570618[/snapback]

this sounds similar to when i burnt out my cpu. The first time it happened, it was right when Warcraft III came out (so what, like 3-4 years ago?), and when i went to start it, my computer crashed after changing the settings. Not thinking it was due to overheating, i went to start up my computer right away and it "crashed" during boot up. I kept rebooting over and over to no avail. I was running an Athlon Thunderbird I think...or maybe an XP...i don't remember. Anyways, after a couple of hours i gave up, and tried the next morning and it got to the Scandisk, found the errors, and corrected them and then it booted and ran smoothly. Problem solved, right?

WRONG! A month later, I decided to give Warcraft III a try again. BAM! same thing. This time I realized it was heat-related (i don't know what tipped me off). So I let it cool an hour, tried to boot. It got into Scan disk but crashed before it could find the errors. I tried again later and same thing. Eventually, I was able to get it to find the errors and get into windows.

(btw, these errors were caused, i believe, from it crashing in the middle of booting, thus corrupting the boot file).

Problem solved again, right? WRONG!

About 3 months later, I'm playing Neverwinter Nights. I've playing the game for several weeks, keeping an eye on my temps, and everything was okay. I'm in a dungeon, I open the door to a very small cramped space, and there are 3 pixies in there. They all cast their roots which spring up from the ground. At the same time I spam 3 spells in a row, and my henchmen casts stuff too. BAM! System overload. Computer crashed. And this time for good. Even after waiting a week, it wouldn't boot up...fried. Had to go to the computer labs to do work until I got my new parts a month later :(.

Moral of the story: Don't just think because you survived the first wave, you're in the clear and don't have to address your heat problem. The computer shuts down in those scenarios as a warning to you. Heed that warning.

Interesting story Clay...Weird you should say that, i had the same problem about a year ago, but i was overclocking like crazy then...It's been ok since this morning but i guess i can never be sure. The poo thing is that it's so random. I did replace the stock cooler with my old skythe kamakaze and the temps dropped by about 7c idle...I did have the bios set to shut off the system if the temps got over 80, so i dunno if that's why i kept getting random lockups and the system actually shut down a few times...Im confused :blink:

Interesting story Clay...Weird you should say that, i had the same problem about a year ago, but i was overclocking like crazy then...It's been ok since this morning but i guess i can never be sure. The poo thing is that it's so random. I did replace the stock cooler with my old skythe kamakaze and the temps dropped by about 7c idle...I did have the bios set to shut off the system if the temps got over 80, so i dunno if that's why i kept getting random lockups and the system actually shut down a few times...Im confused  :blink:

571260[/snapback]

I dunno, it's something to look into though. How recently did you replace the hsf? Maybe it's not seated properly? It may pay to take it off, clean it, reapply thermal grease and reseat it. And then remember that it takes a day for the thermal grease to fully function, so you may want to lay off the real heavy gaming for a day or two. shrug. I dunno what to tell you, I just don't want to see a post from you in a month saying "OMFG, My CPU is FRIED!" heh