Big Newb Question.....altho I Shouldnt Be A Newb:(

OK

this is going to be even newbish coming from me

BUT

if U like get a Server MOBO and Xeons

is their anything special u need to have to run window xp on it?

until Like U get everything set up so u can run an actual server OS on it?

j/w

you can run a server OS on anything, they jsut rin diffrently, they are usually stripped down, and have diffrent secutity protocols, what kind fo server are you trying to build, iv got some old server parts i might be willing to part with :P but iv got 2 server up and runnign at the moment, so if you ahve any questions feel free to ask.

depends on the mobo

some will be specific 24/8 pin, registered ECC, special cases (extended ATX), scsi, no xp drivers ( a few of the serverworks HE chipsets are like this)... but to "use" a dual xeon system you'd need apps that support SMP, just like dual core. you'd also NEED Xp Pro with a dual xeon.

if it's on xeon on say an i875 based board, it would be just like a P4 of the same speed.

depends on the mobo

some will be specific 24/8 pin, registered ECC, special cases (extended ATX), scsi, no xp drivers ( a few of the serverworks HE chipsets are like this)...  but to "use" a dual xeon system you'd need apps that support SMP, just like dual core.  you'd also NEED Xp Pro with a dual xeon.

if it's on xeon on say an i875 based board, it would be just like a P4 of the same speed.

571006[/snapback]

^ what he said. dipends on teh specific parts, and the OS.

So will any pci-e card work with pci-x, And it seems most server boards have pci-x instead of pci-e

and that board and proc combo, will that work with windows xp?

and it doesnt seem to need ECC registered memory anyways? or am I wrong

but i think i understand,

The Proc and board combo will work with windows Xp, UNLESS it says so, since basically a xeon is a p4 with SMP right?

but since the new xeons are emt64, will that work with normal windows xp?

Edited by CoolMaster

and it'll work with windows xp correct?

and my last question was, will a pci-e video card (say a 6800gt) work with a pci-x slot? like in the server boards

571329[/snapback]

i think it should work with winxp, unless it states otherwise.

a pci-express card will not work in a pci-x slot.