Need Some Help Getting Windows Onto A Sata Drive

red930

ok so the other week i tried to reinstall windows on my desktop that was sitting in a box for a few weeks because i tried to sell it but was unsucessfull, and decided if i still got it i should use it. anyways fastforward, so i tried installing windows onto it and every time i did when it started copying files to the hard drive it random files wouldn't load and every time i hit enter for it to retry it would just keep saying unable to load. i tried it about 5 times with three seperate xp cd's one pro and two home. so i was like ok maybee my ide cables are not grouynded. so i pitched the round cables and got out the ugly asus ones from my mobo box. still the same thing. i then decided to update the bios... same thing.. so i came to the conclusion i was going to need a new hard drive. and i said while im at it ill go for a SATA HD because i hate those ugly cables. anyways fast forward again. now my real problem...

so i installed the hard drive hooked up the SATA cable from the hard drive to the SATA1 port on my mobo. hooked up the power cable to it and started the comp. enabled the satabootrom on the mobo and saved my changes. i got out my xp cd and put it in. then i went to maxtors web-site the company that makes my hard drive. i used their program to load the drivers onto a floppy disk and hit F6 then S while installing windows and it said it did not contain a text.oem file..... so i was like ok. so i went to the asus web-site and downloaded thier program and extracted it to another floppy disk. did the same thing and it finally loaded, selected it to a windows xp SATA controler and it loaded. well it got to the point where you hit enter to instal windows. and then it pops up saying hey u dont have a hard drive installed... i have no clue what to do, and have run out of ideas to try. thnx in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

There are about 1000 posts on this ... on the forum :)

Real quick - and I know most are not used to dealing with floppy drives - but look at the disk layout of the floppy drive. Make sure the oem file is in the root directory. Most of the times, the driver zip will extract to a seperate directory - u just need to bring everything up one directory level on the drive. That should solve your problem. Also, check to see if the sata bios sees the drive - if not, you may have connected it wrong. Finally - check to ensure that you have enabled the SATA option in the systems bios, sometimes it is not set. This will over-ride the SATA bios and tell windows install that there are no HDD installed.

well after days of talking on the phone with asus we determined it cant be anything wrong with the motherboard or my hard drive... so they insisted it was memory... i went along with it and it turns out after i did a memory check both of my sticks were bad.... hard to believe yes i know but it happened... so i am waiting for my other sticks to come from crucial so i can get installing... i just cant beilieve i didn't think to run a memory test in the first place...