The Media And 'others' Are Getting What They Want

LoArmistead

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there shoulpd be a show on npr thats purely right wing and president bushes cro0wnies like carl rove can makke sure all thoughts and quotes are right. then they should air it in the most heard time slot. then the libs can have all day long to counter. but as long as the presidents plans are clearly defined he will win. because he does stand on the side of reason. its just he seems so repetitive because liberals cant grasp the simple plan called the "big picture"

Yes, the media is evil.  Liberal, Conservative.... it doesn't matter, they're the number 1 reason that America is getting dumber by the second.  It's not a liberal thing, or a conservative thing, the media is always going to try to tear down the government

570079[/snapback]

:withstupid:

they are anti american and dont like the fact that we are different.

570122[/snapback]

I absolutely hate ignorant people. You are a moron. Anti-American views (hehe, AA) aren't part of AMERICAN politics. Liberals aren't anti-American. Any reasonably intelligent person realizes that anti-American views won't stand a chance in this country. Next time you make an asinine statement like that, make sure you realize that you're including half of the people living in the United States. That's right, half of Americans are anti-American. So the other half is anti-anti-American?

I truly despise all politics and politicians. While I have both liberal and conservative views (yay death penalty!), I tend to lean to the left. That being said, I feel the need to quote a bumper sticker I saw recently: "Support our troops! Bring them home!"

Random thought: You can NOT make any intelligent comments about the rest of the world unless you have seen it with your own eyes (and not through the eyes of the media). If you've never been outside of westernized countries, how can you really know what goes on there? All this crap about America being the only "free" country is just dumb. We may be one of the only country that took the time to write it down, but these so-called "American" freedoms exist in other countries as well. Nevermind the fact that I could, and most likely will after college, leave this country live whenever I feel like...

Regardless, some of us just don't give a dang! :ph34r:

I absolutely hate ignorant people. You are a moron.

Twas a tad uncalled for, and almost turns the cards around on you...

Anti-American views (hehe, AA) aren't part of AMERICAN politics. Liberals aren't anti-American. Any reasonably intelligent person realizes that anti-American views won't stand a chance in this country. Next time you make an asinine statement like that, make sure you realize that you're including half of the people living in the United States. That's right, half of Americans are anti-American. So the other half is anti-anti-American?

You are working under the assumption that everyone who voted for democrats in the last election were liberals. This isn't true. I hate polls with a passion, but a recent poll showed that 12% of Americans define themselves as "liberal." The democratic party is not one united front. There are conservative democrats like Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller, then we have the liberal democrats like Ted Kennedy , John Kerry, and Harry Reid. Some people are conservatve, but voted for democrats so they could keep their government job. Others voted for democrats because they are union members, and some unions make it a rule that you must vote for democrats if you are to be a part of them. Some people vote democrat because they don't know any better. Finally, a select minority of Democratic voters vote for democrats because they actually believe in the Democratic platform (socialized medicine, cuts in defense spending, increased social programs, expanded federal bureaucracy, higher taxes, etc).

I feel the need to quote a bumper sticker I saw recently: "Support our troops! Bring them home!"

You forgot the Second part of that bumper sticker. "Support the Troops! Bring them home! .... So that they can be sent back over to the middle east in ten years to try to quell a gigantic civil war that will disrupt the world's oil supply, kill tens of millions of innocent people, cause Israel to be overrun and destroyed, and nuclear weapons to be distributed freely among terrorist factions to detonate in the US as they please."

All this crap about America being the only "free" country is just dumb. We may be one of the only country that took the time to write it down, but these so-called "American" freedoms exist in other countries as well.

No one is disputing that. There is one freedom that we have here in America that no one else does... It's called free market. It's the reason we are the richest country in the world. It's also the reason every major corporation in the world strives to have footing on our soil. Without this free market economy, we would have lameduck bear economies like all of the European nations. As long as we stay laissez-faire, we will continue to have the best economy in the world, and we will continue to have at least one freedom that no one else has.

But I'm not as quick to blame the media directly.  Many outlets DO try and show the war in both positive and negative lights, but unfortunately many people are blinded to the positive aspects and the reasons behind it.  The problem isn't the media, per se, but rather the naivety of a large portion of society.

570175[/snapback]

Clay makes an EXCELLENT point here! Blaming the media for the troop's general sentiment is like blaming video games for misbehaved youth. Is GTA a bad influence on kids? Of course. Should kids be able to differentiate between good and bad and make up their own minds on how to live their lives? Yes.

If these soldiers (or ANYONE for that matter) is dumb enough to believe and embrace everything they get from the media, then they deserve what they have coming. I believe they call that "survival of the fittest". Media is full of utter crap 9 times out of 10, but as responsible, well-rounded human beings, we should be able to "filter out" the bad things. If we are incapable of this, then we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, the media has become unbearable. I'm not trying to deny that. It's so bad that I haven't watched TV for more than 20 minutes in months. But I do believe that the true blame is on the folks that are too dumb to make this realization.

Liberal shelters.  All along the northeastern states and along the "Left" Coast (Washington, Oregon, Cali), a majority of politicians elected there are liberal democrats (save Joe Lieberman).  Kids are being raised in these states with liberal newspapers (LA, NY, Chicago, Washington, etc..) and a liberal media spouting out the bad news that I was mnetioning in my original post.  These kids are raised under a liberal iron curtain.

570178[/snapback]

Yes. These "liberal shelters" do exist. Places like San Francisco are perfect examples. But as always, you're completely missing the fact that "conservative shelters" exists just the same. And furthermore, you're missing the pure irony of yourself point this out.

You live in TEXAS!!! What is Texas if not a "conservative shelter"? If I had to choose one state to mark as a breeding ground for conservative thinking, it would be Texas. Can you even keep a straight face while trying to tell me that liberal thought is given equal chance in your state? You make it sound like a huge sin to teach children liberal ideas, yet I bet you will have no problem "aligning" your children to the conservative side. Yet again, it's funny how you point this out on one side, as if the exact same thing doesn't happen on the other...

they are anti american and dont like the fact that we are different. our way is different and thats what makes us better than others. ppl see that as arrogance be truth be told it is envy . we are envied by all and thats a fact.

570122[/snapback]

"Our way is different and that's what makes us better"... WTF does that mean? That doesn't make any sense. We're better because we're different? Different how? And how is it that when we're different we're better, but when other countries are different they're evil?

"We are envied by all and thats a fact".... are you kidding me? That sounds like arrogance because it IS arrogance. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of non-Americans on this board alone that would tell you they DON'T envy us. If you think the whole world envies us, then you have a lot to learn. If you truely do believe that, then you're just the typical cocky arrogant American that is driving this country down the tubes.

I absolutely hate ignorant people. You are a moron. Anti-American views (hehe, AA) aren't part of AMERICAN politics. Liberals aren't anti-American. Any reasonably intelligent person realizes that anti-American views won't stand a chance in this country. Next time you make an asinine statement like that, make sure you realize that you're including half of the people living in the United States. That's right, half of Americans are anti-American.

570607[/snapback]

:withstupid:

I hate getting to these things late. I only have a coupel points that I havent really stated before. I will start with a question..

If I deeply feel for our troops, and openly support them (and no, im not talking about a stupid magnet on the back of my car), how can I openly not support the war?

1. I do not want to see another american die in some God-forsaken desert.

2. I hate the idea of our soldiers finally coming home from war and still not being armed with what they need to succeed away from their gun and chain of command

3. I think this could have all been a lot better planned from the beginning, not saying I know the answer, just saying that it feels to me like we rushed a bit into the Iraq side of the equation.

4. I believe that the reason the american people are against the war in general has been covered in previous threads. It just wasnt communicated well by Washington why we are in Iraq. (stating over and over that Sadam didnt have the capability to product WMD's, then saying he abolsutely had them, and then not pointing a camera right at one and saying for the american people "there it is, we told you so") I know we needed to do something over there. I just question the timing.

God bless our men and women over in Iraq. When they get back, shake a hand and dont turn a shoulder...

You live in TEXAS!!! What is Texas if not a "conservative shelter"? If I had to choose one state to mark as a breeding ground for conservative thinking, it would be Texas. Can you even keep a straight face while trying to tell me that liberal thought is given equal chance in your state?

I guess you've never been to Texas then. We have several liberals in our state. Look at the court that indicted Tome DeLay. Liberal prosecutor, liberal judge. Travis County (Austin), where the indictments took place, is one of the most liberal counties in the southwest. There are several reasons for this; mainly because it's a gigantic college town. Setting Austin aside, yes, Texas is a conservative state. But keep in mind that before the Reagan years, Texas voted just about straight democrat.

Also, I don't live in Texas, I used to. I live in North Carolina. We have a democrat governer, and several democrat congressmen. By the grace of God, both of our senators are conservatives. My house just so happens to fall in the very very edge of a voting district run by a democrat representative, Mel Watts. (I think the state legislature is attempting to do some gerrymandering in the state. The voting populace is not being accurately represented since the state has started expanding in the past 20 years.) For instance, my entire neighborhood is conservative except for one family of goth people (yeah they're weird). Why should 80+ conservative families be in the same district as a liberal democrat representative? All they need to do is move the voting line about 500 feet to the east, and my neighborhood could be in Howard Coble's (conservative) district.

If I deeply feel for our troops, and openly support them (and no, im not talking about a stupid magnet on the back of my car), how can I openly not support the war?

Ditto

1. I do not want to see another american die in some god-forsaken desert.

2. I hate the idea of our soldiers finally coming home from war and still not being armed with what they need to succeed away from their gun and chain of command

3. I think this could have all been a lot better planned from the beginning, not saying I know the answer, just saying that it feels to me like we rushed a bit into the Iraq side of the equation.

4. I believe that is the reason the american people are against the war in general has been covered in previous threads. It just wasnt communicated well why we are in Iraq. I know we needed to do something over there. I just question the timing.

All great talking points.

I agree with you on #1. I don't want any soldiers to die that don't have to. It's terrible. Families are ripped apart, lives are crippled. It's a tough business.

#2: I am not sure I understand what you're saying.

#3: Planning for the war was fine. Everything was on schedule. Saddam's army was decimated in a week. 300,000 US soldiers take out 2,000,000 Iraqi soldiers in a week... God Bless America. What I think you are talking about is the guerilla war that ensued. In which case, you can't plan how to fend off a guerilla war, it's logistically impossible. When you are fighting on a battlefield with a known enemy, it's easy to maneuver, command, and plan ahead. When you are fighting small factions of insurgents all over the place, it's a logistical nightmare. Look back through history at all the times we fought against guerilla forces. Starting in the Revolutionary war, up through the civil war, post-Germany WW2, Vietnam, and now Iraq. It's nothing new to us. Also notice that in all those past wars, the only way to beat the guerillas is to stay there and take them out as they come to you. We are on the offensive in Iraq, but then again we are also on the defensive. The best and only way to defeat these insurgents is to fight the war on two fronts. The first front involves PR. We have to convince the people over there to ignore the anti-America propoganda they are being force-fed. We have to make them realize that we are there for their well-being. This PR front is succeeding, as we have seen with the turnout in public events and Iraqi elections. It's kinda sad when the president of the USA has a higher approval rating among Iraqi citizens than he does amongst his own people...maybe the Iraqis know something we don't about what going on over there? Perhaps it isn't as big of a miserable failure as we are being told? Who knows... our info comes from the media, an unreliable source at best. The second front is the bloody one. This is where men are killed by roadside bombs, civilians are blown up at the market, and people here in the states are calling for immediate withdrawal. The second front is the battlefront. This is where we kill the terrorists that come at us, while the first front stops anymore terrorists from being recruited. A war of attrition.

#4: Regardless of what these silly polls say, a majority of Americans support the war. Just as many support it now as did when we captured Saddam. The only thing that has changed is how many people are happy with the way it's being run. In for one, and not happy with the way the war is going. I think we need to be more aggressive. We need to set political correctness aside, shut the humanitartian groups up, and do what needs to be done. That is the only way we are going to get out of their faster. Some people say we need to leave Iraq now. This is probably the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. Most of us here will agree that leaving that country now will do more harm than good. Some people say they are unhappy with the war's progress because there is no "exit strategy." This is a term that was invented by the Kerry campaign in order to draw in voters and give democrats some talking points. The exit strategy has been made clear, "We leave when the job is done." It was made crystal clear to us at the beginning of the war that we have no earthly idea how long this will take. We could be out in three years, or we could be out in thirty years... people seem to have forgotten that. It's common sense, you can not have an exit strategy in a war that doesn't end. We stay till it's done.

God bless our men and women over in Iraq. When they get back, shake a hand and dont turn a shoulder...

*S*

Frankly as being left winged as I am, I still support the fact that we got a job to do... Not all liberals have accepted the fact that there is a war and its gotta be finished... I agree that the media dosent help but theres alot of media out there that is right winged, there isnt so much mainstream but its still there... Im just sick I guss of all the complaining people do.. Sure I want the war to end as much as anyone.. Im sure you want it to end to lo... But frankly we gotta finish what someone started... Its always gunna be a fight no matter what. What good is fighting over it and what dose it accomplish?

Edited by General912

But frankly we gotta finish what someone started...

570684[/snapback]

Ahh yes, one of the smartest comments that has been posted in the entire thread :D

If the American people opposed the war with such force, they need to have done somethign BEFORE we had a commitment to the Iraqi people. We jumped into this yellow jackets nest, no use in running away unlesss we stomp every last one of them. Other wise, that's just that many more pissed off stinging critters waiting to sting your @$$.

Frankly as being left winged as I am, I still support the fact that we got a job to do... Not all liberals have accepted the fact that there is a war and its gotta be finished...Its always gunna be a fight no matter what. What good is fighting over it and what dose it accomplish?

570684[/snapback]

I am amazed. If only more people could be like you. :blink: You summed it up so well. OK, for a minute, I'll sit back and say , "OK, there are no WMD's, we were lied to about why we should go to war, and the war is morally wrong." Now what? Eh? We have a job to do. No matter what your political affiliation is, no matter what your beliefs are, the ominpresent fact is that we are there right now, and we have a job to do. We aren't going to make this war a half-assed effort like we did Vietnam, ohh no, we are going to stay the course with this one, and we are going to finish what we went there to do. We aren't backing out early. It does no good to complain about how the war started, it's already started. The best thing for everyone right now is to just accept that it needs to be finished. There will be ample opportunities after the war is over to raise questions about how it was fought and what could've been done better, but right now is not the time. Right now is the time to support the troops and work together for a victory in this situation, not impede progress with half-conceived accusations and a crackdown of the current administration. :withstupid: