Max Grafics

what processor will do better for video rendering.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 Dual-Core

------------------OR-----------------

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57

Please take into account I'm considering a MASSIVE liquid coolant system and overclocking as much as possible.

Motherboard: DFi LanParty nF4 SLI-DR EXPERT

Ram: 4 Gigs Dual Channel extra low latency (brand/speed to be chosen yet)

Video: 2x eVGA 7800GTX KO 24/490/1300 stock (SLi)

HardDrives: 2x Hitachi 250GB SATA-2 3GB/s

this is a over christmas break project just looking for input ;) thanks everyone

Aye, the X2 will do best if the apps you'll be using take advantage of it.

EDIT: And don't say you'll be overclocking as much as possible with liquid cooling. You'll need a VPC to get very high with an FX. So go FX if you really want to OC, but get a VPC. Think people! THINK!

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Hopefully your video rendering software is SMP compatible. That is where the X2 will come into play very nicely. If its' not, the FX would be better or a P4 would be better as they handle memory related tasks more efficiently.

Hopefully your video rendering software is SMP compatible. That is where the X2 will come into play very nicely. If its' not, the FX would be better or a P4 would be better as they handle memory related tasks more efficiently.

570000[/snapback]

<RANT>

umm wow.... yeah no they don't........ i've had my previous setup as a p4 2.8 and an athlon 2800+ both just to test this theory... P4 died CONSTANTLY. my athlon XP out performed the P4 of the same equivilant speed hands down. AMD owns Intel ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

previous setups:

p4/athlon xp 2.8/2800

DFi Lanparty nF2 / Shuttle mobo

1GB DDR pc 3200

250GB Maxtor IDE

geforce 6800 128mb AGP 8X

cd drive

generic 400w power

</RANT>

disregaurding your intel comment in a thread about AMD i will agree with you and everyone else about the FX-57 although the Dual core may be better for the sheer factor program upgradeability w/o hardware changeouts.

but that aside i guess the real question is.. what processor is better designed for over clocking the X2 Series or the FX Series

<sidenote>

working on a very nice liquid cooling system for the video cards and im taking KB's advce and getting a VPC for the processor

</sidenote>

for rendering intel will always take the cake at the same speed hand down, its been said thousands of time and bigred knows what hes talking about, rendering is based on Mhz not what company is better or the speed in which is can do short cylces letting it seem faster for quicker running apps

Edited by hornybluecow

i've had my previous setup as a p4 2.8 and an athlon 2800+ both just to test this theory... P4 died CONSTANTLY

If that is the case, you are using older archaic software that does not take advantage of Intels' SSE2 and SSE3 instructions. If you updated your software, you would see that the Intel processors do better at math-based tasks then AMD processors do. CAD/Graphics programs also LOVE L2 cache. P4's have up to 2MB cache available to them (EE using 2MB cache). The Athlon 2800+, if it was a Barton only has 512KB. You are also using the wrong video card for the job, it should be a Quadro or a FireGL.

SPEC based synthetic benchmarks, the ones used for benchmarking Maya and 3DSMax perfomance show time and time again that Intel just plain does better at it. The Opteron may do a little better, thats a server/workstation chip compared to a home desktop processor.

You also skipped right past where I said the FX series Athlon 64's would be better then the X2's if your programs are not SMP compatible. The P4 is also used in the industry for such work, but others are starting to adapt to the FX as it is a WORKSTATION processor.

In a short sweet statement: Overclocking isn't going to do crap all for your video rendering performance.

3DSMax7 Comparision: http://www.spec.org/gpc/apc.data/specapc_3dsm7_summary.html

Maya 6.5 Comparision: http://www.spec.org/gpc/apc.data/apc_maya65_summary.html

Until then kiddie, I'll disregard your comment. <_<

Edited by FxXP

wouldn't a opteron be better for this, but a xeon would be way better for this.

intel is made for this kinda thing.

but you can't use that mobo with a opteron, too bad.

so i say go with the 4800 X2

a 2.8E P4 will out do a 3000+ Venice in video related Encoding...so unless your software is total crap, or your intel setup was with crappy HDDs/ram, then you my friend are conducting these test somewhere other than earth...and i still dont understand your video card/motherboard choice...it seems as if you don't know what your system is going to be used for...I think I'm goign to leave now and get back to typing my paper, maybe ill think about this while I'm at work tomorrow encoding movies...

I can understand his choice of mobo and video. 3dstudio is not like encoding live motion video (premiere / final cut / avid). infact it's more along the lines of autocad... you have to draw in lots of yoru frames.

I was persoanlly thinkign more of soemthign along the lines of a Quadro FX setup. Doesnt seem like the place the 7800GTX in SLI was designed for. Anyway is a program like 3Dstudio even setup for using that type of SLI setup to its true extent...