Stuck At 2.5ghz On Venice 3000

mrlithium

Well let me start of with a rundown of my components:

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

2x512mb Patriot PC3200 Low latency Kit (2,3,2,5)

Venice 3000 E6 (i dunno the step numbers cause I dont feel like removing my heatsink)

Well, after many DAYS of fighting with this Asus BIOS i finally found my fastest stable setting:

HTT 278 * 9 multiplier = 2502 mhz (clockgen shows as 278.52 / 2506.64)

Memory: Divided at DDR333, CAS 2.5,3,3,5 (clockgen shows 227.88)

CPU running at 1.45 V

Memory running at AUTO because this ram is rated at 2.5V and the Asus BIOS only allows you to set from 2.60 to 3.00 not any lower

Now some things worth notiing:

-Windows is stable above HTT 278 up until 282 but at 282*9 but prime95 fails within 30 seconds

-I'm Running at 1T command rate, 2T drops my sandra mem bench by over 1000 so I dont want that

-changing from CAS 2.5 to 3.0 doesnt seem to help

So my question is really about voltages. Will higher CPU voltage take me past This instability, or is the instability coming from my ram? Also since I can boot windows at 282, I can run A64tweaker, but I don't know what any of those settings over on the right column mean. They seem pretty important though.

I tested my 278 for 7.5 hours overnight on prime 95 blend, this is how I know its stable. I had Winamp playing mp3's at the same time.

One problem, I am able to reproduce BSOD's by running 1 particular program, called MP3DirectCut. It uses approx 5% CPU while playing an mp3 and within 1-5 minutes my system will always BSOD with a different error message, one i remember offhand is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" This program works fine at Stock clock speeds, and the system is completely and 100% utterly rock solid except for this one program even when I open about 15 programs at once, and try to stress the chipset by transferring stuff over my LAN at the same time. Since winamp works I dont think its the sound card thats causing BSOD's so it could be the CPU or the chipset or really I dont know... all i know that it is reproducible in only this 1 program. Anyway running that program isnt really important to me, I just thought it might be an indicator of something.

Edited by mrlithium

• 1 month later...
Well let me start of with a rundown of my components:

Asus a8n-sli deluxe

2x512mb Patriot PC3200 Low latency Kit (2,3,2,5)

Venice 3000 E6 (i dunno the step numbers cause I dont feel like removing my heatsink)

Well, after many DAYS of fighting with this Asus BIOS i finally found my fastest stable setting:

HTT 278 * 9 multiplier = 2502 mhz (clockgen shows as 278.52 / 2506.64)

Memory: Divided at DDR333, CAS 2.5,3,3,5 (clockgen shows 227.88)

CPU running at 1.45 V

Memory running at AUTO because this ram is rated at 2.5V and the Asus BIOS only allows you to set from 2.60 to 3.00 not any lower

Now some things worth notiing:

-Windows is stable above HTT 278 up until 282 but at 282*9 but prime95 fails within 30 seconds

-I'm Running at 1T command rate, 2T drops my sandra mem bench by over 1000 so I dont want that

-changing from CAS 2.5 to 3.0 doesnt seem to help

So my question is really about voltages. Will higher CPU voltage take me past This instability, or is the instability coming from my ram? Also since I can boot windows at 282, I can run A64tweaker, but I don't know what any of those settings over on the right column mean. They seem pretty important though.

I tested my 278 for 7.5 hours overnight on prime 95 blend, this is how I know its stable. I had Winamp playing mp3's at the same time.

One problem, I am able to reproduce BSOD's by running 1 particular program, called MP3DirectCut. It uses approx 5% CPU while playing an mp3 and within 1-5 minutes my system will always BSOD with a different error message, one i remember offhand is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" This program works fine at Stock clock speeds, and the system is completely and 100% utterly rock solid except for this one program even when I open about 15 programs at once, and try to stress the chipset by transferring stuff over my LAN at the same time. Since winamp works I dont think its the sound card thats causing BSOD's so it could be the CPU or the chipset or really I dont know... all i know that it is reproducible in only this 1 program. Anyway running that program isnt really important to me, I just thought it might be an indicator of something.

569470[/snapback]

Hi there i have an amd 64 3500+ venice and when i overclock it to 2.5 i use prime 95 and after 3 mins its gives an error report so im thinking maybe the voltages may need upping ever so slightly....you could try that its just a suggestion

hmm well something you should try is drop the multi to a lower value like 4 and see what happens when you go to 290ish fsb it maybe your motherboard limiting you and not your procesor. i have sustained a stable 2.6ghz with my e3 venice at 1.5v but i dont like the temps so much and think i could do better so i run it at stock voltage 1.45 and have it a 2.4ghz

Set HTT multplier to 3x, manually set RAM timings to 2.5-3-3-6 or 2.5-4-3-7 if need be; give the CPU a little voltage and maybe the RAM too. I've never heard of anyone killing memory with 2.6V, so I wouldn't worry about that.

2.5 Ghz is not bad for a 3000+, but maybe you can get more.