I've Had It

bigred

I also would like to agree with Bigred on this one. In my little town noone knows what they are doing at all with their computers. The only one around here that is "certified" likes to try and charge everyone $50/hour for his service. The only big problem with my town is that we have DIAL-UP and there is no real "cheap" alternative so basically everyone has dial-up. Well if you think of it $50/hour is ridiculas especially when you gotta do updates and whatnot. So I am the alternative because I will only take $50-100 for the job as a whole...and I have found many Dell's (mainly that's all everyone has) with Nortan Antivirus that's expired...what good that does. So without making them pay for antivirus I will go on the internet and get AVG for them. When I have set up a few downloads i will just leave and return in a few hours but its just amazing as to how little these people know about their computers. Usually they only do a couple of things online and most of them have AOL which I absolutly hate. So all in all I can see where bigred comes from at times with people knowing little or nothing about how to maintain their computers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So bigred, how much to the techs make at the shop?

Yes I see exactly where you are coming from. Example: the computer that runs the cameras @ the station died of causes related to dust inhalation I had cleaned the dust filter on the fan a week prior. Not my job BTW. That was scary. I came in while the tech was rebuilding the entire computer (new mobo, cables, psu, the works. I remarked on how dirty its innards where. He said "oh they are all like that." Are you FREAKING KIDDING me!

w/o stupidity, there wouldnt be smart people :lol: they need one another.

569390[/snapback]

:withstupid:

just think of it this way: for every stupid person that you encounter, it just makes you look that much better :D

I've come to the conclusion that 100% of the human population is "stupid" in some facet of life. About 90% is stupid in MOST facets of life. I'm glad at least most of the OCC population is not in that latter category ;)

So bigred, how much to the techs make at the shop?

569604[/snapback]

$15 an hour to start with an A+ cert. 1% comission on labor and parts when they pass the $2k mark in labor, 2% @ $4k, 3% @ $5k, 4% at $6k, and IF they could crack the magic $8k mark they jumped to 10% (not a bad incentive to work hard and efficinetly)

I've come to the conclusion that 100% of the human population is "stupid" in some facet of life.  About 90% is stupid in MOST facets of life.  I'm glad at least most of the OCC population is not in that latter category ;)

569614[/snapback]

Most... :bah:

$15 an hour to start with an A+ cert.  1% comission on labor and parts when they pass the $2k mark in labor, 2% @ $4k, 3% @ $5k, 4% at $6k, and IF they could crack the magic $8k mark they jumped to 10% (not a bad incentive to work hard and efficinetly)

569768[/snapback]

That's how much you make if you are working for someone else. That someone else is raking in $85/Hr+.

Bottom line, don't be a tech unless it is your business.

$15 an hour to start with an A+ cert.  1% comission on labor and parts when they pass the $2k mark in labor, 2% @ $4k, 3% @ $5k, 4% at $6k, and IF they could crack the magic $8k mark they jumped to 10% (not a bad incentive to work hard and efficinetly)

569768[/snapback]

Where is your store? (starts job application)

Im half way through A+ I swear!

!#%^$#@&% how many times do people have to ask that? I SOLD IT OFF. I refuse to work retail anymore. and just for that reason... no one f'n listens to a dang word you tell them.

and you'd be amazed at what I think of just having A+ certs done. I don't think they teach anything anymore. when I got my A+ cert it wasn't a common thing. now they're found in cracker jack boxes. I wanted to move it up to at LEAST MCP but others in the company didn't think that would go over well. But then again when you've finished your MCSE+I (yes I can TEACH the course now), CCNE, CNE, A+ (circa 1997) NET+, MOUS, Mac+, plus certified by HP/Compaq, Sony, Toshiba, and Emachines / Gateway to fix most of thier equipment... then I feel you're well rounded tech worth at least $50 an hour

Well I woulda taken 8$, just because its in my field of interest I can always work my way up and if doesn't work out, it doesn't work out no biggy.

What is your job now anyways?

Edited by Ste

Well I woulda taken 8$, just because its in my field of interest I can always work my way up and if doesn't work out, it doesn't work out no biggy.

What is your job now anyways?

570324[/snapback]

when you pay the money for the schooling....it had better "work out" for me lol.

when you pay the money for the schooling....it had better "work out" for me lol.

570332[/snapback]

yap, well, I consider alot of possibilities in my head so Im prepared, however theres are always the Military. Computers is the easist thing Ive ever gotten into, so ya it better "work out" cause I got nothing else.

Edited by Ste

As much as I complain about stupid users as well, without them, I'd be out of a job too. It is unfortunate that some of them let their PCs become so overrun with viruses and spyware, but I usually just tell them that if it is too overrun, format/reinstall is the only way it'll get fixed. I rarely actually go through and remove the viruses and spyware.