Sign in to follow this  
apostolics

Different Chipset

yesterday i want to frys to pick up my x2 4400 and i wanted to put my old 3800 into a cheap board. i asked the guy and he told me that there is an 80 board i asked him what it was nf3 or 4 and he said niether . its actually a uli chipset . has anyone heard of these i havent maybe cuz i dont usually shop low end. can anyone shed light on his chipset. gigabyte made the board. i didnt get it cuz im tired of getting the short end now i research before every buy

ULi chipsets are not bad at all. They just are not implimented well most of the time.

Anyway, anandtech and a few other palces have done some detailed reviews on A64 ULi boards and chipsets. You may want to check them out.

consider that the top dogs on the A64 side with ATI north bridges (modeled closely to the ULI / ALI one) are ALL equipped with ULI south bridges.

I've heard them called the "chipset ninja" a few times... had no idea what that meant till I looked in device manager and saw ULI for the first time in YEARS.... it just snuck in there :)