Atitool

nan0click

I oced my 9800Pro with an R360 core to XT speeds, but the ATI tool program says that i get major artifacting, is this accurate or no?

Pretty much, you CAN just ignore it but it isn;t what we'd call "stable," AtiTool has never failed me, if i OC something i always can trust that my OC isn;t to far

BTW: are you on stock cooling? What brand card is it?

Those can affect the OC even it has a XT core in it

dunno, i dont always go with ati tool. i use other apps to test also so i just dont rely on only 1 program. but i happen to get lazy and dont bother with testing for artifacts, i just clock down if i see them. besides 53

if anything i'd say atitool UNDERdetects...

atm i'm using ati tray tools and the artifact checker is much more up-to-date and accurate imo

rthdribl is a good artifact-check-by-eye... meaning you run it, and see if it spazzes out... it's really obvious if you're overdoing it... and somewhat obvious if you are just past stable...

I've used both atitool and ati tray tool. Both do a pretty good job of detecting atifacts, but sometimes I find artifacts in real programs that niether of these utilities will find.

Regardless, if either of these program detects aretifacts, you are getting artifacts, and the card cannot be called stable.

Ati tool does a good job of helping you find the max stable oc for your card. Alot of times it will be bench stable but not game stable(artifact free). Just find your max and drop the clocks a few fsb and you should be right where you can run.

In most cases atitool will find artifacts way before a game will. Best way is to use a mix of atitool, 3dmark05, and an actual game on max settings.Also, you never said what cooling you were using - if it is a silencer then try to reseat it becuase it should run xt speeds no problem with one unless it is not making good contact. If not I dont recommend ocing a 9800pro card on stock cooling. My aiw only hit 395-400mhz artifact free on stock cooling, and would freeze up at around 410 - 9800s are hotter then a lot of the newer cards.