Video Stutters, Can I Make It Not Stutter?

Assassin X

Ok not sure what forum this would go under....

Basically my friend way down in Floridia wanted to show me this great footage he got while he was on vacation on a cruise ship. Well he recorded it for about 20 minutes and uploaded the video and put it up at Rapidshare.de.

Well the footage on his end is smoorh and what not but after I got it and he did whatever to it starts out smooth out for about 5 seconds then for the rest of it it will pause for 10 seconds then it will move (and I'll hear audio) and it will be jerky for about 5 secodns then it stop for another 10 seconds and thats all it does the whole thing!

I've tried opening it in every possible player I could think of! Is there anyway to like recode it with another codec or however that works? How do I fix it? He deleted the footage he had and this is all thats left! I don't know much about video footage on PCS. BTW its in MPEG format.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Well I guess he had shown some other friends the clip and they all have the problem too. Its not a streaming file. He said he did something to the file to shrink its size but he doesn't remember what. I'm guessing its beyond damaged now? :(

BTW I was wrong I downloaded (with the others) from him through a Torrent. I'm sure most of you know what Torrents are. Do you think because it was being downloaded like that maybe it messed up the file?

i doubght it.

what are your computers specs and what kind of mpeg format. what codec, what aspect ratio, what is the resolution and is there sound

568381[/snapback]

Specs, although since I'm not into the extremly advanced specs mine won't be all fancy :D :

WIN XP (SP2)

2.0 GHZ P4

1 GIG RDRAM

Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB)

2X 250 Gig Hd's (Western Digital)

SB Audigy

Not sure what specs would matter. About 20+ other people that downloaded can't play it either.

As for the MPEG format, Codec, Ratio and Res.....um....I have no idea. How would I check? By default I just use WMP to run movies if I'm in a hurry but I do I have lots of other players.

As for the sound question, as I stated in the first post there is sound but it only plays when the video plays. When the video plays you only see a few frames at a time then it pauses along with the audio. Then it moves on but you don't see anything orr hear anything then you see it play more footage again with audio. I noticed when it doesn't play anything visibly the "counter" is still counting up. So obviously its still going but somethings wrong with the video or something.