Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

Career In Law Enforcement

Well, I'm not sure if I've posted this yet, but I've seriously been considering a career in law enforcement.

Why?

I've seen physical abuse, suffered from harassment, and have seen the meth making scum bags that inhabit this area. It's sickened me, and I know that I want to make a difference in this small community. I really want to do my part to change the area, and make this small town safer for younger kids, such as my mentee and his friends in the third grade, and my little sister, who's in Kindergarten. No kid deserves to DIE because their parents blowing up their house because they had a meth addiction, nor do others need to lose their lives because of idiots under the influence. I don't care if I hardly make enough to get by on, the biggest payment will be the honor of being someone who makes the area safer.

So... any recommendations on what to prepare for? What's the Academy like?

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Well, I'm not sure if I've posted this yet, but I've seriously been considering a career in law enforcement.

So... any recommendations on what to prepare for? What's the Academy like?

568016[/snapback]

Depends on where you go, every department is different. Some Follow military standards others don't. What type of policing do you want to get into? There is so many choices to choose from

The Provincial Police here in Ontario Canada are on the same level as your State Police. As Bosco said, alot of forces use the military type training. The Provincial Police up here use military style training, marching...They yell at you, call you a turd...But it is all worth it when you walk up and get your warrant card and sheild....

The Provincial Police here in Ontario Canada are on the same level as your State Police.  As Bosco said, alot of forces use the military type training.  The Provincial Police up here use military style training, marching...They yell at you, call you a turd...But it is all worth it when you walk up and get your warrant card and sheild....

568135[/snapback]

Hey White, if you're looking for a VHF Trunking APCO 25 radio any time, for the OPP system, lemme know. ;)

One of my close friends is a ranking officer with SJA in Ontario. What fire department are you with again?

Uusually the local cops will use training academies in the nearest town. Smaller towns will use larger towns' training facilities, etc. The state police tend to use state-funded facilities which are more rigorous.

If you decide to go into Federal law enforcement, which I recommend (though it is a hell of a lot harder to get into, and is much more demanding on your time and wits), then you will most likely be trained at the marine post in Quantico, VA. It's a four month course where they will teach you basic interrogation and computer skills. A large portion of the course is physical exercise, and in order to graduate, you have to be an expert marskman. While at Quantico, you will be shooting thousands of .40 rounds with your issued firearm. You will also be trained with an M1 tactical shotgun and an MP5. All federal officers train with the MP5, whereas only a select number of local and state policemen get that opportunity.

The advantages to being a local or state cop is that you get decent pay, decent hours (Most will work 12 hours a day, 4 days a week), and a respectable job.

The federal government, however, is much more demanding. In order to become a Special Agent in either the FBI, CIA, or DEA, you must have graduated from a 4-year university with a degree in Accounting or Political Science. Law degrees, military service, and other police work looks good on your resume too ;) . The advantages to federal service is: decent pay, nice pension plan, great benefits. You start out making just over $40,000 a year, but if you stick with it for a few years, the GS scale will favor you. Within about eight years you can be making around $80-90,000 per year. If you are compliant enough (a 'Yes' man), you may even get up to a managerial position that will get you up to the GS-12 and GS-13 paygrades, which will put you in the $100,000+ per year bracket.

The disadvantages are: you have to be ready to be transferred to anywhere in the world at any time, if a crisis occurs, you have to be on standby and ready to be shipped anywhere in the world within 12 hours, the hours are loooong, and at times you will be stressed to the max. BUT, once you get used to the stressful, demanding lifestyle of a law enforcing bureacrat, it's a really nice job. It's nice to know that you are making a difference, especially in times like these when there are things going on everyday that the average American knows nothing about.

Good luck with your future in law enforcement, it's a great thing to get into. While all of our jobs nowadays are being shipped overseas, one of the jobs that is expanding is law enforcement, because as the population increases, the number of stupid increases proportionally, and we've gotta have people to put 'em down :D

aren't you a little bit young KB? i dont think they let 14 yo's join the cops... too young

568201[/snapback]

Could start out as a Police Explorer, or a Cadet no problem in most places.

There are teenage programs for youth interested in law enforcement. Most run their own academies during the summer, wil allow you to do ride alongs, and much more...

KB u need to think this out, u change things u are doing all the time. a while ago u wanted to start ur own computer business type thing or something, then a few other things, and now this.

Well, KB, if you do decide to stick with this path, I support you 100%. It's a great field to get in to, and you learn so much! You still have plenty of time to think about what you want to do, but if you ever decide to join Brother Lo, gimme a call! :thumbs-up:

aren't you a little bit young KB? i dont think they let 14 yo's join the cops... too young

568201[/snapback]

/slap

Nothing wrong with thinking about the future. I'm a senior in high school and hardly have a clue :bah:

Being an LEO is one thing that's truly stuck to me, nan0. And, when you spend two years mentoring and being friends with the kids that these scum bags such as child molesters and meth producers endanger, it pushes you to want to put them behind bars. Being a victim of molestation, harassment, and witnessing abuse, I have trouble sleeping at night just thinking about the fact that they're still out there in this town.

And, surprisingly enough, cops have very little respect here for what they do. My parents actually complained about one asking my little brother and his friends (a bunch of punk skateboarders) if they had been shooting off any bottlerockets, because they were walking around the area where someone just had. I guess they must of been issued X-Ray goggles that allow them to see through backpacks and clothing, and I never found out.

Brother Lo: Sorry, but I doubt I'd really be able to handle a job in the federal government. And, if I were to somehow get into it, I don't know if I would be the best canidate.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger