So, Whats All This 64 Bit About Anyway?

64 bit doesn't directly help in 32 bit apps at all...it's just that you can't (AMD wise) get a pure 32 bit cpu anymore that can keep up with the efficiency of the new ones.

Basically if I took my cpu, ran some benches, somehow cut the 64bit out of it, then benched again, in theory I should get the excact same results.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my A64 is at 2.92 GHz... in gaming terms you'd need something like a 4.5-5.0 GHz P4 to get the same performance...

the newer chips are generally very overclockable which translates to a massive boost in game performance...

the short answer is, my A64 owns P4's in just about everything apart from video-encoding and PCMark lol

568097[/snapback]

Video encoding, PC Mark AND Multitasking.

568425[/snapback]

I don't the Multitasking part to be true. My P4 2.8 system at work can't handle as many apps at one time as my Winchester @ 2.56 can.

Edited by FxXP

568425[/snapback]

rofl @ multitasking... :lol:

"ooh, look at me on my P4 doing 2 things at the same time!"

wow, that's like as amazing as the difference between pre-emptive multi-tasking and round-robin... not

yeah i had this posted a while back, The intel Pentuim M takes the best features from the P3 and the P4 and one doing 2.5ghz actually BEAT the fx-55

read it up here

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=53159&hl=Beat

in a select few apps.  but over all it gets it's butt handed to it in the vast majority of stuff.

498695[/snapback]

perhaps 3dmark 03/05 is one of those select few apps. :P so what, im sticking with amd price and performance wise atm.