So, Whats All This 64 Bit About Anyway?

So, ive been looking through the forums, and am trying to find a fairly specific answer... i couldnt find it so.. i guess ill just post redirect me if i missed it ;)

My question is: how does a 64 bit processor help with with running 32 bit applications? I'm sure the people over at AMD have thought up some algorithm so its more effecient? Does it split the processor into two and process two 32-bit sections of data at the same time? Does it have much of any effect on the process of a 32 bit application?

The fact of the matter is... right now all that -really- is 64 bit is a few select applications (nothing for the casual user like myself) and windows... so speeding up windows would obviously be an advantage to a 64 bit processor for a gaming computer, but what about speeding up the games themselves? Does a 64 bit processor do anything in terms of that? How much does it -actually- help the computer to run 64 bit windows as opposed to 32bit windows? For a gaming computer, is it really necessary to upgrade to 64 bit.. before they release 64bit versions of games?

Also, considering the fact that i have a 3ghz processor overclocked to 3.3ghz, i have a relatively high FSB (about 910mhz) and fast ram as well (its running 1:1 with the FSB, so that means its at 910mhz as well) which is definately helpful because the real bottleneck of the systems nowadays seems to be the RAM and not the processor not having enough cycles.... I'd imagine 64 bit processors are not very over-clockable because they are fresh to the market (relatively speaking). So is there truly a reason for a gamer to upgrade to 64 bit quite yet, other than bragging rights?

Another question that just popped into my head: what aobut dual core processors? They arent -that- unrealistic, on account of they are like $100 more than the normal ones... how will that provide any benefits for the gamer? I would expect this would be a benefit... seeing as i have watercooling i can keep the temperature low on it.

Edited by DrAwesomePhD

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you might be new here.

32 apps run just as fast on a 64bit cpu compared 32bit of the same speed.

and it really depens if you have windows 64.

All the old sucky 64 bit cpus already went throught the market.

All the 64 out now, have all of their bugs worked out with the new revesions.

And 64 is furture proof too.

I'd imagine 64 bit processors are not very over-clockable because they are fresh to the market (relatively speaking).  So is there truly a reason for a gamer to upgrade to 64 bit quite yet, other than bragging rights?

567905[/snapback]

my A64 is at 2.92 GHz... in gaming terms you'd need something like a 4.5-5.0 GHz P4 to get the same performance...

the newer chips are generally very overclockable which translates to a massive boost in game performance...

the short answer is, my A64 owns P4's in just about everything apart from video-encoding and PCMark lol

64 Bit is the data bus, meaning the data is moved into the CPU 64 bits at every heatbeat of the system timer/clock I don't remmeber which, Unless you have a 64Bit OS, then you won't use 64 Bit, 32Bit programs and OS's still run at 32 bit even on a 64 Bit processor. So yes it is does speed up programs and games if they are all 64bit, we just need programs and hardware to utilize it, which is the near future. Im waiting for all the bugs in the MS 64 Bit os to be worked out before I buy it, I also am waiting on mass production or products and programs that will utilize 64Bit, also driver support is very important, thats why im waiting.

Fact: Current 64bit technologies expande the register size to 64 bits, allowing for more effiecent 64 bit presision

Fact: Also increased the register count from 8 to 16. This aloows for better compution of compex algerithims.

Fact: increases the SSE registers from 8 to 16 also, allowing for slighly better SSE performance.

Fact: Onboard controller decreases latency. Does (almost) nothing for bandwith.

Fact: 64bit addressing allowes for more RAM to be used then previously. Up from ~4 gigs

MYTH: better bandwith? NO! Ram is still connected to the controller by a DDR400 bus, therefor the speed is still 3200MB/s

MYTH: the on board memory controller is part of 64 bit technology? Nope! The onboard controller is a AMD K8 implimentation. Intel has 64bit tech with out the controller.

Now all that said, I have a 64bit proc and love it! I was running Win64 but it doesn't support Matlab and i have to move back to pro. 64 was much smoother for some of the things i did, and was jsut overall good. I fully recomend goign AMD64 they are good chips with good technology.

i suppose the answer to my convuluted question i was looking for was: is it really more beneficial to upgrade the CPU or to keep the CPU for another year or so and simply get more RAM? I have 1gb of PC4400 (or something.. its 533mhz) ram... with the P4 @ 3.4ghz . Which is really more important to upgrade first, assuming that in a years time i'll have upgraded both.

Edited by DrAwesomePhD

You have a good enough processor to last you for a year or so. As for dual-core and gaming, unless you find a game that supports SMP, which only a rare few do, it would be pointless to get one. It has been debated many times before yet people still seem to jump ship to an X2 or a 8xx P4 and never got the performance benefit. Basically it's money wasted.

64 Bit is the data bus, meaning the data is moved into the CPU 64 bits at every heatbeat of the system timer/clock I don't remmeber which

This is not the 64-bit this thread is about. Variosu bus widths are utterly irrelivant to wether a CPU is considered 64-bit or not. We are talking about register width.

A cpu such as a 939 pin Athlon 64, has a 128-bit memory bus, and a 16-bit hypertransport bus.

My 10 year old pentium 75Mhz had a 64-bit memory bus, but it was most defianlty a 32-bit cpu.

Fact: Current 64bit technologies expande the register size to 64 bits, allowing for more effiecent 64 bit presision

Fact: Also increased the register count from 8 to 16. This aloows for better compution of compex algerithims.

Fact: 64bit addressing allowes for more RAM to be used then previously. Up from ~4 gigs

These are all true, but they require programs and OSes witten to support them, so they are largely irrelivant if you use a 32-bit OS with 32-bit programs.

Fact: Onboard controller decreases latency. Does (almost) nothing for bandwith.

MYTH: better bandwith? NO! Ram is still connected to the controller by a DDR400 bus, therefor the speed is still 3200MB/s

Maximum theoretical bandwidth did not increase, but effective bandwidth (the only kind that matters) most certainly did. Any benchmark that disables buffering or tests memory write speeds will make the very evident, as will many real world programs.

Any way DrAwesomePhD, your current cpu should do quite well for the near future. There are fast CPus, for sure, but they aren;t really faster because they are 64-bit.

DrAwesomePhD yes yoru current computer is fine for now, right now there are too feew 64 bit programs to justify upgrading to a new 64 bit CPU JUST for 64 bit ness.

As faw as what to upgrade...

A gig of ram is good for jsut abotu everythign outside of video editing and BF2

most games us bigger GPUs so maybe that.

it al depends on yrou usage.

This is not the 64-bit this thread is about. Variosu bus widths are utterly irrelivant to wether a CPU is considered 64-bit or not. We are talking about register width.

568272[/snapback]

I was just giving him some information. But Ill be sure to stalk you, and post every single time you say some totally irrelevant. :glare:

I was just giving him some information.  But Ill be sure to stalk you, and post every single time you say some totally irrelevant. :glare:

568361[/snapback]

I would hope someone would correct me when I make a mistake, I don't want anyone spreading my misinformation, or breaking something, if I happen to be wrong.

Your information is only accurate in a few cases, wich you do not specify. I found it overly ambiguous and potentially misleading.

I am not "stalking" anyone, or making a personal attack, just trying to help.