Sign in to follow this  
bigr

Intristing Article

Date: Jul 21, 2005

That article is kinda old. But on that note, the inquierer is saying that the FX seriers is skipping 59 and goign to 60? no clue why, and that the 5000x2 will be the last CPU for 939, ( gee i shure hope not)

now my opinion is that A this is all rumor and heresay at this point and that B anytimea socket ends it would be benifitial to release a final "super" chip for the platform, I dont mean somethign insain but "solid" goodbye pressent, plus it would encorage a lot of people to upgrade. so my dream for 939? well teh current 4800 tops out at 2.4Ghz and 1MB cache each core, so how abotu skipping 2.6 512 and the like and drop a 2.6 1 MB Cache core? or even 2MB shared, with a few tweeked bufferes? or even 4MB shared, now that wouls be nice..

Date: Jul 21, 2005

That article is kinda old. But on that note, the inquierer is saying that the FX seriers is skipping 59 and goign to 60? no clue why, and that the 5000x2 will be the last CPU for 939, ( gee i shure hope not)

now my opinion is that A this is all rumor and heresay at this point and that B anytimea  socket ends it would be benifitial to release a final "super" chip for the platform, I dont mean somethign insain but "solid" goodbye pressent, plus it would encorage a lot of people to upgrade.  so my dream for 939? well teh current 4800 tops out at 2.4Ghz and 1MB cache each core, so how abotu skipping 2.6 512 and the like and drop a 2.6 1 MB Cache core?  or even 2MB shared, with a few tweeked bufferes? or even 4MB shared, now that wouls be nice..

I really don't think it's just rumor, new information has come since that article to support it.

AMD probably thinks FX-60 looks/sounds better than FX-59.

...and I really do think the X2 5000+ will be the last upper end S939 release.

Why would it be benifical to relase a "goodbye present"? Thye are going to want people to migrate to the new socket, so they can get rid of S939 as quickly as possible.

well 939 hasnt been around that long i havent really gotten attached. i used to have to upgrade at least 4 times before i really felt a connection with this socket.

I still keep getting the same thing on the M2 / 939 scheme of things. the press (anand included) is pushing up the time frame by at least a year. 939's demise is a pure rumor. M2's release is hinged on Intel's next move. which seems to be stalled. DDR2 only has a 25% chance of being the ram of choice. DDR3 is more than likely going to be the standard due to it's lower heat, faster speeds, and lower cost.

next on to the move of the X2. if I hear somone call an X2 chip a 2mb cache chip I'm gonna cry. it's 1mb per core. same as san diego (basically 2 SD cores on one chip).

and the FX. don't hold your breath. the FX-57 nearly failed to hit the market. the FX-59 or what ever they want to call it is even less likely. the FX series true home in a workstation evironment is being taken back by socket 939 opteron 1xx series chips, and the X2 line. seeing the opteron come to 939 after the FX is somewhat shocking, considering both chips were cut from the same sand in the begining.... socket 940 sledgehammer chips with no SMP support :( now they're both san diego cores on the 939 platform for workstations.... thus is the way AMD does things.

even in the begining there was questions about the "FX" processor. AMD sent some chips over to MS for WHQL cerfiication. they were labled "Athlon FX". though these chips later turned out to be what is now known as the Sempron...

From what I have seen the s939 platform will be replaced in '06 with a NEW socket 940. This will not be the Opteron platform we have now, and will have a DDR2 memory controller.

:P

I still keep getting the same thing on the M2 / 939 scheme of things.  the press (anand included) is pushing up the time frame by at least a year.  939's demise is a pure rumor.  M2's release is hinged on Intel's next move.  which seems to be stalled.  DDR2 only has a 25% chance of being the ram of choice.  DDR3 is more than likely going to be the standard due to it's lower heat, faster speeds, and lower cost.

Won't, DDR3 be pin compatable with DDR2? If it is, as I have heard, they could keep the same socket for both and when DDR-3 really gets going, just update the memory controler of the new chips to support it. No need for a new socket or motherbaord, just a BIOS flash.

Won't, DDR3 be pin compatable with DDR2? If it is, as I have heard, they could keep the same socket for both and when DDR-3 really gets going, just update the memory controler of the new chips to support it. No need for a new socket or motherbaord, just a BIOS flash.

568728[/snapback]

ddr2 and ddr3 are different and if they came out with a ddr2 memory controler they would problay come out with a ddr3 one. They problay won't do a bios update and make you buy a whole new proccessor.

a swing and a miss from firestorm! that's not what he's talking about.

say they are physically the same pin config. a DDR3 module will fit in the same slot as a DDR2 one. in theory you could simply swap out the cpu with the memory controller and you're in business. now you might need to flash the bios to support a new core (if they release a whole new core for it).

that theory is very possible.

Yep, that is what I was talking about.

Given the current momentum DDR2 has gained (it's avaiable and getting to be as fast as or faster than DDR), and it's low price atm (as cheap as or cheaper than DDR), I don't find it inconcievable that AMD would try to get the new socket out the door asap.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.