Choosing An Lcd Monitor

ClayMeow

Okay, so I pretty much know what to look for in an LCD when it comes to gaming, but what about for graphic artists. The company I work for now, their main graphic person uses a FujiPlus monitor and hates it. Apparently the colors are off when she prints something, but I haven't gone in to check it out yet because I've only been working here since Monday and she's in the middle of a project right now.

Anyways, I know Samsung and Dell are two good brands to look at when it comes to image quality, but my question is, what are some optimal specs for things like brightness and contrast ratio? And does dot pitch mean anything?

Remember, this monitor will be used for ZERO gaming. Hell, she's got a Radeon 9550, so we're not talking hardcore top-of-the-line here.

This is what she has:

http://fujiplus.com/detail.asp?sku=FP-768

(actually she may have the 19" version, I haven't checked...all i know is that another person just handed me a conked out 17" version, so fyi, don't get FUJI!)

Thanks!

Well for best image quality look for the lowest pixel pitch. Thats about all I can think of. The lower the pixel pitch the better the image quality as I understand.

Well for best image quality look for the lowest pixel pitch.  Thats about all I can think of.  The lower the pixel pitch the better the image quality as I understand.

567435[/snapback]

That makes sense...the smaller, the more there are. But do you happen to know a size to strive for? Like with response times for gaming, you look for under 16ms, preferably under 12ms. So is there a similar "benchmark" to strive for when looking at pitch?

Thanks again :)

On newegg The lowest pixel pitch I found for a 19In LCD was .264mm However I think if you went for a 17inch LCD the pixel pitch can go lower, however, as bigred says newegg isn't the only place to shop, so if you can find a 19inch moniter with lower then or == to .264mm then thatd be good.

Eizo make pro-spec monitors that are possibly the best for photography / graphic design... they aren't cheap... but look out for discontinued analogue only models that are about 1/4 of the original price... they still annihilate pretty much all the consumer-level tft's in terms of image quality and colour reproduction...

one brand to look out for anyway...

make sure you get a tft that is based on at least 8-bit IPS rather than 6-bit TN or MVA/PVA... IPS has the best colour reproduction, 8-bit means it has the full 8 bits per colour channel and doesn't need to dither... some IPS displays have more than 8 bits per channel which helps on soft gradients...

IPS pretty much sucks a big one for gaming but is the best for photography and graphic design...

thanks guys, i'll have to look into a little bit more. My boss is basically giving me full discretion for the purchasing decision. He doesn't want to spend TOO much, but it seems he understands, that as the main graphic artist for the company, her monitor is more important than anyone else's. Hell, her whole computer is probably the most important one (power-wise) after the servers.

if space isn't an issue, you can pick up a brand new 22"+ pro-spec crt (high rez and high refresh) for the price of a so-so 17" tft...

another option to consider...

also, and i consider this VERY important... 1280x1024 is a stupid ratio that makes it difficult to do any graphic design as the pixel ratio is 5:4 whereas the display ratio is 4:3... so the pixels are NOT square... they are elongated, which makes circles into ellipses for example... a pain in the arse imo...

either get a tft with 1600x1200 rez (could be expensive), or get a large crt that has decent refresh at high rez...

currently i'm running 1600x1200 @ 85Hz on my monitor, and it goes up to 2048x1536 @ 70Hz... i'm at the max rez for 85Hz which i prefer over 75Hz...

Hmmm, that makes sense. And she has complained about the blurriness of some text. I don't think she's opposed to a CRT, so what are these "pro-specs" you speak of? I searched everywhere and can't seem to come up with something.

For 1600x1200, it looks like I'd have to to 20"+ which will be $500+, whereas the current piece of crap she has was $279. Obviously I can justify more for a better monitor, but I dunno how keen my boss would be on the idea of doubling the price <_ so if those pro-specs are any good and the graphic artist doesn mind a crt then that be better i guess. don really know how to shop for anymore though lol.>

o man, that does sound like a good deal, but too bad there's only 21 hrs left and i didn't have a chance to verify that woman would be fine with a crt, and she left for the day. Maybe the buyer has more he's putting up though. I'll have to check next week. Thanks.

what are those "pro-specs" though?