Sign in to follow this  
Vic Mackey

Overclocking Questions!

Hello. Well I decided to be adventurous so Im gonna overclock my athlon 3200+(not 64 version). I have a MSI Delta 2 mobo and there are plenty of options for overclocking. My questions are:

1. Ok so I changed the multiplier to x13.0 to see how far it would go and it went down to 995MHz???? then changed it to 12.0 and got 2400MHz?? I dont get it...

2. The CPU voltage is at CPU Default whatever that is. Do I need to change that? what should i change it to?

3. I changed my fsb speed from 200 to 202mhz. is that bad? 202 is the highest setting it will go.

4. My Ram voltage is 2.7. is that too high? shouldnt it be 2.5 or 2.6?

Ive never overclocked anything before so please feel free to offer any suggestions. Right now im idling at 44C. thats bad right? I think im gonna try to find a new heatsink and for for it cause im using a tornado thing with a loud fan and it is kinda annoying.

Off topic, I read that when applying thermal paste that you just put a small BB size in the middle of processor and then put the heatsink on and that will spread out the AS5. is that a good way? cause when i did it i used the edge of the credit card to spread it and i had to put more on to cover the whole area.

Edited by Vic Mackey

yeah definitely think about getting a decent heatsink... 44 idle isn't bad, but it's not really ideal... depends what the load is much more than the idle... i hardly even care what my idle temps are (i only care at all to see the difference between idle and load to gauge the performance of my cooling)

you should overclock using the fsb... i'm sure on my Delta-L it goes up to around 230 fsb at least if not like 250 or higher...

if the setting for fsb really only goes up to 202 and there is no option to go higher then you may need to update your bios to one that gives you that option...

K7N2 delta2 series B.4

Advanced BIOS mod - info

before you flash your bios you should load the bios defaults...

2.7 isn't really high at all... some ram likes lower, some likes higher... you can't select an unsafe voltage on the Delta's tho afaik...

i spread AS5 with a credit card, i just don't like the blob-and-squeeze method and i get better results with the card method...

oh and try not to take any notice of my 2500+ oc lol... it's a dud oc'er... i don't suck at cpu overclocking, it just won't go any faster! :lol:

hey thanks for the reply! eek! flash the bios... ive never done that before. how do you do it? also, i have an antec 430W PSU do you think it would be ok to overclock? i have heard that one of the first things to die is the PSU!

Guest Raven65

Did you unlock the mulit? I thought the 3200 was set @ 10?

Guest Flashstar
Did you unlock the mulit? I thought the 3200 was set @ 10?

Mine is set to 10. :blink:

I don't think the multis are unlocked. In fact there aren't many chips where they are unlocked. Least to my knowledge.

i had 2 old msi socket a boards that would let me change the multi in the bios--didn't change the clockspeed though! the bios made it look like an unlocked multi but no matter what i set the multi to in the bios, it always stayed at the default. of course, then i got an unlocked barton 2500 that did let me change it--paired that with a dfi lanparty nfII ultra b: my first real overclock!