Bah, Psu Problems. Could Use Some Help.

RMA'd my last Fortron that was pretty much dead. Wouldn't boot up. Couldn't even power itself. Got my new one in yesterday. Everything runs fine.

I turn it off that night and go to bed. I wake up next morning...and it won't turn on. Same problem the last one head. Fans spin for a second, then thats it. So, i turn the swtich off in the back and go to school. When I get back, I test it one more time, and it boots up.

So, its booted up and I play for about 2-3 hours or whatever. I leave and go do some errands. I get back, and it shut itself off. Try to turn it on, no luck. Wont start again.

Unhooked everything but PSU, mobo, and Vidcard. Didn't work.

Unhooked everything but the PSU, it won't turn on. O, and yes I know that I have to use the paperclip trick and such.

This makes me second Fortron 530W from Newegg to basically die in 3 days or less in a row. My first Fortron 530W broke within a year. Think it was the fan. They are supposed to be solid PSU's so I don't know whats happening.

Is there anything I could be hooking up wrong or doing wrong that is killing my PSU's? Do i just have the worst luck in getting the bad ones?

If its not me or my computer, but indeed the PSU, I'm thinking of just buying one from a local shop around here. Problem is, these local shops carry cheap PSU's because the average joe doesn't want to pay a lot of one, ya know?

Best I could find was an ePower 450W for $40 but I don't know if ePower is any good. The guy said he has been using them in his machines for 6 months no prob, but eh. Same guy had a 450W Vantec too, but its used (although he says its still perfectly fine) and I'm not positive at how good Vantec is either.

I can't really afford a very expensive one, cause my mom thinks I'm messing up and don't know what I'm doing. So she is getting pissed cause I keep spending money on my PC when he DELL has never broke and such....Sigh.

So, Any help you guys can give on suggestions and maybe what keeps messing up my PSU's would be greatly appreciated. THanks guys.

Its pretty wierd you are getting incredibly lucky with that 530watt Fortron. I owned one myself and I never had any problems (gotta love the adjustable voltage POTS inside :D ). I would call Newegg and explain the situation over the phone, also asking for a refund as well. As far as Epower goes, they are made by Topower; same manufacturer as the OCZ Mod/Powerstreams, PCMCIS, Tagan, and a few others. Vantec PSU's are ok, but they aren't that great either.

If you can get a model numner that would help a lot. However the best rule of thumb is usually the weight of the PSU. If it doesn't feel like a featherweight and weighs a pretty decent amount of weight (~4-6 pounds) it should be fine.

Edited by lilkev715