Sign in to follow this  
BarneyGumble

No Dual Channel, What Should I Do?

My mobo and cpu will not support dual channel memory. Therefore, if i'm spending around $120 on new memory, should I get two 512 stick with 2-3-3-6 timings or should I spend the money on one stick of 1Gb with better timings, (is it possible to get better timing on a 1Gb stick)?

I'm looking around and finding conflicting information. Some sites say that socket 754 CPUs do not support dual channel. Others say that the nForce3 250 chipset supports dual channel with a 754 processor. What's the final word?

Socket 754 chips cannot support dual channel, doesn't matter what board or chipset it is connected to. The memory connects directly to the CPU with Athlon 64s, so the limit of the chip is it.

You are better off with a single 1 gig stick, if you ever plan on upgrading to 2gb. There are numerous good 1gig dimms out there for reasonable prices, look around.

it says "DDR ram support" which is double data rate, not dual channel

that webpage has dual channel guidelines....it does not however say anything about dual channel support for that particular motherboard a few spots above in the "memory' header. it has a 'dual channel guidelines' header there....but again it states no 'actual' compatibility whatsoever with dual channel memory...only lists guidelines. they in fact list no actual claims that it supports such an action.

now im with you on this one. why would htey have those guidelines there on a non-supportin mobo page? i dunno....somethign to make your eyes bug out and say wow i want it i guess...

but your first clue on this onw was that its...a....biostar.

get something else.

i have the same thing.. err rthe same problem. motherboard but doesnt support dual channel, so i just got 2 gigs of value ram :P

ooh man but it is kinda tricky how they include the dual channel info specs which would get peopel to think the mobo supprots dual channel EVIL!

Edited by lost

If your mobo were to support dual channel you would need two identical sticks of ram. In that case I would recomend two sticks of 512. But since you cant get dual chanel, The 1gb sticks are probly cheaper and will work fine.