Windows Nt Sucks!

Nerm

Ok I have run across an issue with a client that I am having trouble resolving. Their network is currently setup with a workgroup and a domain both. The workgroup part of the network works fine and is having no problems. The problem is the domain part which is called "Domain01" and the domain server is a windows NT machine. Now the problem is that I am replacing all their windows98 workstations with winXP workstations. The problem is that the new WinXP machines will not connect to the domain network where all of their software data files are located. I keep getting the error that the domain does not exist when I try to connect the WinXP machines to the domain.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I have run across an issue with a client that I am having trouble resolving. Their network is currently setup with a workgroup and a domain both. The workgroup part of the network works fine and is having no problems. The problem is the domain part which is called "Domain01" and the domain server is a windows NT machine. Now the problem is that I am replacing all their windows98 workstations with winXP workstations. The problem is that the new WinXP machines will not connect to the domain network where all of their software data files are located. I keep getting the error that the domain does not exist when I try to connect the WinXP machines to the domain.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

566003[/snapback]

you suck :lol: j/k, yes this was an issue i ran in to my self. did you try making sure nt was fully updated and that it allows connections from xp? i my self havent really figured this out on my own, i just got pissed and replaced nt with server 2003.

EDITED. the best assumed solution is at the bottom!!

try this link. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;831348

SYMPTOMS

When you try to use a Windows XP computer to log on to a Windows NT Server 4.0 domain, you may receive the following error message:

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your System Administrator for assistance.

The following event ID message is logged in the Windows XP system event log:

Event ID: 3210

Source: NETLOGON

Description: Failed to authenticate with \\DOMAINDC, a Windows NT domain controller for domain DOMAIN, and therefore this computer might deny logon requests. This inability to authenticate might be caused by another computer on the same network using the same name or the password for this computer account is not recognized. If this message appears again, contact your system administrator.

The following event ID message is logged in the event log of the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain controller where you tried to log on:

Event ID: 5723

Source: NETLOGON

Description: The session setup from the computer computername failed because there is no trust account in the security database for this computer. The name of the account referenced in the security database is computername$

CAUSE

This problem occurs because F-Secure Anti-Virus version 5.3 is not compatible with Windows XP.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, upgrade to latest version of the F-Secure antivirus software (that is, F-Secure Anti-Virus version 5.31, F-Secure Anti-Virus version 5.4, or higher).

For additional information about how to log on to a Windows NT 4.0 domain, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

810497 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810497/) "System cannot log you on to this domain" error message when you try to log on to a Windows NT 4.0 domain

WORKAROUND

To work around this problem, turn off or remove F-Secure Anti-Virus version 5.3.

MORE INFORMATION

If you resolve this problem when you remove or turn off F-Secure Anti-Virus version 5.3, contact F-Secure for additional information about this problem and how to resolve it.

For more information, visit the following F-Secure Web site: http://www.f-secure.com

APPLIES TO

Edited by Trakfast11

so if only the TCP/IP protocal is installed on your client machinces (your WinXP machines), you will need to install NetBIOS and then enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on those client computers.

566023[/snapback]

NetBios wasn't installed. That took care of it. Thanks alot man! :D