Sign in to follow this  
lost

Is This Worth Buying?

the new 754 semprons with the 64 bit instructions added back are very good chips for the money. oc a 2800+ to 3ghz with that DFI board... not a shabby system at all.

[quote name='swifty11212' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:10 PM']if your refering to me, im not buying it, my cousins dad is, and he dont need dc nor 939 power. hes gonna be upgrading from a AXP 2000+ so that is already a big step. and he dad didnt wanna spend much on em. however, the rig ill build for my lil bro will involve a 939 proc.
[right][snapback]565811[/snapback][/right][/quote]
Nah, I was referring to lost.
[quote name='lost' date='Oct 23 2005, 02:49 PM']ooh those are some good stuff. [b]but the thing is i need a 754.[/b] any suggestions for motherboards and cpus?
[right][snapback]565529[/snapback][/right][/quote]

[quote name='Bleeble' date='Oct 24 2005, 01:59 AM']He never answered the question "why socket 754?" I'd really like to know why you insist on buying something that you won't really be able to upgrade. You're buying both the processor and mobo, correct? So why not go s939?
[right][snapback]565756[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
the thing is, i probably wont upgrade like that. id like to stick with a 754 right now cuz well i really need the 939. most of the decent 939 mobos seem like a good thing for PCIes, but i just got my 9700 pro up'ed to 9800 pro (they didnt have any 9700s XD ) and i'll probably be sticking with the 9800 pro for the time being. since thats the one i use mostly now is that, i could either
A) get a socket 754 mobo, and a amd 64 3700+, put the 3700+ in my current rig and use the 2800+ from my current to put together the other computer i'm working on (like 50-80 on the mobo, and 210 on the 3700 [getting the one without the heatsink/fan cuz i'm just going to use my XP-90])
OR
B) get a 939 mobo, and an amd 64 939, replace that into my current rig, probably end up upgrading the other stuff to. (100 mobo and 240 on the 3700, and since i'm going 939, id wanna just give in and get a PCIe, i know i wont be able to help myself)
sure id like to go with setup B right now, but i'm tight on cash as always, and the next time i was upgrading, i was thinking of upgrading everything, this is just a little step to help my main rig mostly. god i hate college :( after i graduate, i'm spending my frst, and maybe 2nd paycheck on some hi end parts. with that, gotta go, class almost over, and next up.. WORK! up and away!

hah or get this and enjoy both 754 and 939 [url="http://www.overclockersclub.com/link/?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153035"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813153035[/url] hahha

Everything dead ends eventually. If it does what you need it to do now, go for it.

A S754 system with a 3700+ clawhammer, (or many of the lesser chips OCed) will perform quite well. The fact that faster chips exist on S939 won't change that in the slightest. Edited by oralpain