Hitachi Hdd.......good Or Bad Reliability?

Christian3807

From what I've heard, Hitachi's are pretty decent little HDD's.  I have always been a seagate fan.  My old 30gig seagate that has been thrown around all it's life (8 years old) just died recently.  But 8 years for a used and abused HDD is pretty good.

565146[/snapback]

:withstupid: seagate rocks :lol: and year 8 years is a good life span, 1-2 years is no good.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitachi is a very solid hard drive. Above all they can hold some massive capacities. If you need space you can't go wrong with the Hitachi. Get a good offer and it's a no brainer.

And really Hitachi, Maxtor, WD and Seagate are all reliable brands. People's opinions are usually based on which failed them. Personally I've had Maxtor's all my life and they haven't failed me. My Western Digital (non-raptor) has but it's my fault for getting the retail 1 year warranty version on an impulse (good clearance deal). My brother's Hitachis and Raptors have held up well. And my old Seagate was running around until just the other day. So basically I just look for the best value at the time.

But for performance and reliability the Raptors are hard to beat. My brother uses it to load his computer and you can tell the difference. For gaming not so much hence his high capcity Hitachi's to store the games. If only the Raptors weren't so small...

As for the Hitachi and Maxtor temp / loudness:

Idle the Maxtor Diamondmax series have very low temperatures compared to other models. When they need to rev up to heavy loads they are just as hot as other top models but still under most.

Now loudness is different. Anandtech did a report comparing different models and the Diamondmax Series was 3db louder than other drives. That really isn't a significant difference but yes they are louder.

I've never had a problem with IBM/Hitachi deskstars. I have some that have been in nearly constant use for 6+ years that still work fine.

Never had an IBM/Hitachi (never had the acursed GXP75s either) or Samsung drive fail on me yet.

Realistically though, the faliure rate for all major brands is very similar. Look at warranty and performance, not the name.

Never get Hitachi.. NEVER.. they have so many problems.. i put it in a new computer to install windows, i kept getting Disk Read Error press C-A-Del

i would not get it.. go with WD or seagate.. trust me on this one.. i have had 2 bad Hitachi Deskstars..

i must admit that a lot of my friends and colleagues have had more problems with IBM/Hitachi than any other brand...

...and that was working as a technician at the UK's largest highstreet computer retailer...