24 Pin Psu Question

Ok so my friend just go the DFI LP SLI-DR etc. etc. And we got a CPU some RAM and a VGA. That was it and were were going from his old Athlon XP to 64 bit. We got the board out and found out it was the new 24 pin power instead of 20 pin.

Now yes we should have noticed this before hand but since we didnt.

He said that the 24 pin was backward compatiable with the 20 pin and his 20 pin PSU should work fine. I am just looking for a confirmation on this.

If its true whats the difference between the two?

Also anyone know on the DFI lanparty boards there are 4 ram slots 2 of each color. Does anyone know for Dual Channel purposes would you plug the ram into the 2 same colors? Like Ram slot 1 and 3 are yellow 2 and 4 are orange. If I had 2 x 512 ram if I wanted to dual channel would I plug them into 1 and 3?

Main question is the power supply one....ram we can figure out through trial and error.

Thanks,

Mombo

Yeah, they are backwards compatible but, I'd worry if the current PSU has enough grunt to power the rig properly and be stable, and I reckon the DFI is pretty power-hungry too. It might work fine but, tread lightly until you can get a proper 24-pin PSU as there is a lot more in it than just some different plugs.

PSU FAQ (scroll down to post #7)

What PSU brand name and model does he have? If its from a reputable company it should be able to handle the system fine for now. As for the ram slots for dual channel, its 1 & 3 (orange) or 2 & 4 (yellow).

He has a MGE Vigor 500w They are pretty good right? Good enough maybe? He has the board and 3000+ venice a 6800 vanilla 2x512 ocz gold gamer edition Zalman 7000 cu and 2x120mm case fans and thats about it.

It will probably work for now, but tell him to get rid of that POS. There are other members here that can vouch for POS PSU's damaging system components.

564009[/snapback]

Ya, to me If It ain't OCZ, Enermax, Vantec, PC Power and cooling, or Antec. Then its bad.

But thats just IMO.

and if you have TT, then i feel sorry for u.

Ya, to me If It ain't OCZ, Enermax, Vantec, PC Power and cooling, or Antec.  Then its bad.

But thats just IMO.

and if you have TT, then i feel sorry for u.

564077[/snapback]

I'm gonna go ahead and .... sort of.... disagree with you there....

Like I have said many times before, all of the brands that you listed are good brands, but also ones that can afford to charge you more because they have name recognition. But most of them don't actually MAKE the PSUs, they just rebadge the high quality "guts" that are made by someone else. So, if they're made by someone else, then they probably sell those same exact high quality guts to other companies. And these other companies will more than likely charge less for what is effectively the same thing because people think like the above quote. In order to compete, these "no name" companies charge less for the same thing.

Some brands that fall into this category are Tagan (E-Power) and Fortron. I think lilkev found another recently, that started with a Q. QClio or something weird like that. I'm sure he can tell you :P

Anyways, if you don't want to do your research, you can buy the PSUs that are listed in the quote and they'll be great. But if you are willing to research, you can often get the exact same performance at a lower price.

why is it that the orange set works better then the yellow set?

And why do the MGE PSU's suck? I know its not one of the almighty god PSU's but from my testing on it, the voltages stay pretty tight for me.

I was thinking about trying out one of those new XG Vortec PSU's the red 600 watt one......guess I might check out Forton before I decide...