I Need Some Big Time Help!

h00chi3

PC was powered on this morning when I left to go to work, I did notice the time was wrong, got home, pc is dead. Just had power supply replaced in June. Nothing has been added since June. When I push the power button, the light by the memory bay, upper right hand corner comes on (orange), the fan for the cpu cooling makes a quarter turn, the light on the front of the case flahses, and that is all that happens. I removed all extra devices, all hard drives except for the OS hard drive, removed all the rom drives, it is just the motherboard and hard drive, and it still won't turn on. I removed all the memory and added a 512 stick of pc3200 that is viking model new out of the package, and still nothing. I removed everything just to see if the pc would power up and give me the beeps saying there is no memory installed, and still nothing. I had my pc running on an UPS system so no power surges. Any ideas? Would my pc not start up if the CMOS battery is dead? Thanks in advance. I hope it is just a crappy power supply.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your computer should still start is CMOS is dead. Try taking Mobo out of Case and try turing it on there.

You can turn the power supply on without anything connected to it, maybe like 2 fans. By touching a specific black and green pin with a paper clip. But I have to find out what they are.

Edited by Ste

If the CMOS battery was dead, (i'm pretty sure) it would only reset everytime you booted. Do you have another PSU you could test it on?

If the CMOS battery was dead, (i'm pretty sure) it would only reset everytime you booted. Do you have another PSU you could test it on?

563572[/snapback]

If the CMOS batttery was dead, your startup screen would show CMOS mismatch error and ask you to hit F1 to continue.

If the CMOS batttery was dead, your startup screen would show CMOS mismatch error and ask you to hit F1 to continue.

563573[/snapback]

Depends on your BIOS. Mine just has all it's settings reset. Either way the PC will still boot up.

Defenatly try crossing teh green wire on teh PSU withouth anything attached to it, with any black wire ( ground) i woudl recomend ising a paper tower or somethign to hold teh paper clip as you do it. If it boot like that add fans and other non circut items, lights or the like, and try to slowly load it up.

Defenatly try crossing teh green wire on teh PSU withouth anything attached to it, with any black wire ( ground) i woudl recomend ising a paper tower or somethign to hold teh paper clip as you do it. If it boot like that add fans and other non circut items, lights or the like, and try to slowly load it up.

563579[/snapback]

one time i tried doing this,

I killed my PSU. it sounded like black-cats in side the psu. Awesome.

one time i tried doing this, 

I killed my PSU.  it sounded like black-cats in side the psu.  Awesome.

563774[/snapback]

Guess it was a bad power supply. Ive done it and many others have, never had that happen.

Sounds like either something is shorting out or the psu has crapped out. If the cpu fan turns some when you first hit the power button it sounds more likely to be a shorting issue so I would recommend you try everything bread boarded(outside of case on a cardboard box or something) first and see if it works. If it still doesn't work try a different psu if you have another one to test with.

Bigred: Until just recently I didn't know the exsistence of the Intel itanium, how come we never hear about them and are they equvilant to AMD's Semprons?

Bigred: Until just recently I didn't know the exsistence of the Intel itanium, how come we never hear about them and are they equvilant to AMD's Semprons?

563797[/snapback]

Isnt that just abit off topic??

and no way, the Itanium is NOT anything like the Semprons!!

Just look at the price tag some of them carry!!!

Itanium 2

There like chips for severs.

I heard rummors that they ONLY support 64-bit, ie no backward compatability with 32 bit, this may be BS...but thats what I heard..