3200 Winny Oc Stuck At 226 Htt

Tirian-64

OK, well, im getting a little frustrated but im new to overclocking so i didnt expect it to go without a hitch.

now, i have a 3200+ winchester on a MSI k8n neo 4 platinum board and i have gotten the htt up to 226 with stock voltage and the memory at cpu/11 getting me about 205 mhz. im using corsair XMS pc 3200 ram, and the HTT multi is at 4 effectivly giving me 904 mhz its perfectly stable, however, i can not up the htt anymore. i had tried giving the cpu some more voltage, but no go. tried lowering the memory t 1:2, but still nothing, cant post. at 226 its prime 95 stable, with 3dmark05 going. or p95 and F@H. i didnt see the temps go above 40 under load. im suspecting the power supply, but it could just be the winnie. any ideas guys?

Can you go any higher if you drop the htt to 3x?

It might be just that simple and you really wont notice any performace difference between 4x and 3x

Really id recommend trying lower multis because 277 x 9 (2483mhz) will perform better than 226 x 11 ( 2486mhz) because the whole system will run faster due to the mush higher fsb.

You could have also got an overclocking dud or you could have just hit one of those mysterious invisible walls

For instance my 2800 newcastle will not go past 2.5ghz no matter what setting, no matter what voltage, and no matter what temps

It's like there is some invisible wall but an 800mhz overclock is fine by me for that cheap chip so this could be the same case for you or something similar

actually i tried dropping the htt to 3 and it booted once, but then it wouldnt do it again, which confuzled the heck outa me. i dont know, it could very well be an invisible wall. all the bus's are at their rated spec. but thanks for the info, i think i will give the proc multi drop a try. my Bday is coming up on the 24th, so if worse comes to worse, ill just get a venice ^_^

oh something else that might be the problem, is that i am using a Sata hard drive on the nforce four chipset sata controller. i would move it, but BIOS wont recognize it in any of the other 4 sata ports from the silicon image contoller. any ideas?

Edited by Tirian-64

the memory controller on the winnie might have broke, this is common for winchesters to do this which was fixed with venice and san diego cores. i suggest you replace it, also if its "stuck" on 226, that can also mean your ram cant handle it.

i had dropped the memory to 1:2 so i doubt it that. but yeah, its probably just the winnie, its actually one of the older ones, so the kinks hadnt been worked out quite yet, oh well, ill just have to get the venice.... ^_^