Sign in to follow this  
Miichael

128mb Or 256mb?

I'm looking to buy a new video card trying to decide whether to get a 128 or a 256 card. i want to spend no more than $200 right now my eye is set on a 128mb 6600 GT pci-e. Any other options maybe with the radeons? or is the 128mb 6600 gt the best way to go?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=321017

Edited by Miichael

Get a 6800 Vanilla or GTO for your card.

And, once again, there's not enough info here. What games do you want to play? How high do you want your textures to be?

i don't think there is a noticable difference between 128 and 256. i went for 256 because i could afford it at the time, and i couldn't afford the next card up at 128.

It depends really.

If you want highly detailed textures, then get the 256. If just want mediocre textures and high FPS, then get the 128.

563045[/snapback]

And if it's a 6600GT or lower, you mostlikely wasted the extra money to get the 256mb version...bc I dont care WHAT you say a 9600 series card is NOT fast enough to take advantage of the extra 128mb of ram and i laugh in the face of people with a FX 5200 256mb card...

hand down anytime you get a new video card get 256mb you can put more textures in the ram which in turn = higher quaity, i rather be playing Hl:2 on High than low or med, you should that game on low, it looks like CS 1.6.

get 256 you cant go wrong.

Edited by hornybluecow

It's ability to take advantage of the RAM depends not only on the GPU it's self, but also on the RAM interface. For example, a 6200 with 512 megs of RAM and a 64 bit mem interface will render poorer then a 6800 with 256 megs of RAM and a 256 bit mem interface.

im buying the new card for battlefield 2. go with a 256mb 6800 or a 128mb 6600gt?

and also is there a diffrence in performance from the agp to the pci-e?

Edited by Miichael

I would go with the 256 6800, 6800 is a great card, I have the 128MB DDR AGP version of it. the only graphic demanding game I got is Farcry and it run it on all max settings. and good FPS.

Edited by Ste