Issues With Amd 3800+ Venice Cpu!

Ok, I'm just wondering when the shock and awe from this AMD will kick in? I have/ had an Intel 3.0ghz(Northwood) on an Intel mobo and went to an AMD 3800+ Venice core with an MSI KN8-F2 mobo and it seems as though I have lost a little performance in doing this. Right now there is a stock cooler on the AMD and I have it OC'ed at 2.5ghz I think it (BIOS) said 210 on the FSB?? Anyway I guess what I'm asking is there a switch I forgot to turn on or something,lol! Even just surfing the net seems to be a little more "draggy". Also what is the max voltage for this AMD cpu is it 1.5 I never really could find an exact answer ANYWHERE, and is the max temp suppose to be 60deg C or 75deg C? Right now I feel like I've been deceived and that I should have just stuck with my Intel. Also, as far as gaming goes no diff. there niether but this is just me playing not any kind of benchmarks I've done yet, just everyday use, if that makes sense. B:)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! So you're saying you got no noticeable difference, and in some cases even decreases in performance, from switching from a 3.0 northwood to a 3800 venice?? There is definitely something wrong. OCed to 2.5 shouldn't make it run slower unless perhaps that 100mghz OC is making the system unstable? I am not sure what the problem is, but don't you dare say "I should've stayed with my intel " :lol:

Anyone have any ideas?

First off, I love the name "LoArmistead". He was a good civil war general. Anyways, back to the post, I do agree with you. I think there must be something wrong, because you should be seeing a positive difference. Have you ever tried it at stock, it could be an OC problem.

umm i can see a diff in my 3.0c and my 3000+...well in gaming...what speed was the 3.0 running at?

maybe you didnt install the drivers properly...you know wrong order or soemthing...bc it SHOULD be faster.

As for voltage and temps 65C is the rated max for the core i think (aka 60C is HOT) 1.7v is as high as you sould really go voltage wise, but not with stock cooling by any means.

hey look Lo. There is another Civil War buff to join us here. :D

*On topic* lol........You should be seeing a monster difference especially in games and benchmarks. Did you change anything other than the cpu and mobo (eg. video card, etc,)? Have you made sure "cpu throttling" is turned off? That one little thing can kill performance. Are you using the latest drivers for everything?

umm i can see a diff in my 3.0c and my 3000+...well in gaming...what speed was the 3.0 running at?

maybe you didnt install the drivers properly...you know wrong order or soemthing...bc it SHOULD be faster.

if you are running the SAME installation of windows:

did you remove and uninstall the chipset drivers for your old motherboard?

- this is essential, and i reckon you haven't done it

did you remove the hard-disk controllers from the device manager?

basically, if you didn't do a fresh installation then you should have removed all trace of the motherboard chipset drivers for your OLD motherboard...

if you didn't do it, then... do it

I am not sure where "cpu throttling" is located in your specific mobo, but try looking in the advanced settings section of your bios.

Also, how much memory does this system have and what are the specs of the memory? Remember that having quality memory is very important with an AMD system.

basically, if you didn't do a fresh installation then you should have removed all trace of the motherboard chipset drivers for your OLD motherboard...

562044[/snapback]

As mention before I did a fresh install of XP, but should i maybe(very reluctantly) do it again? With that said I'm thinking there are other issues here I'm just looking for advice on what they could be.... :unsure:

Well the volts do move around a little but nothing major..

From Nerm:

That is highly likely to be from the PSU not being able to hold stable. Check it with a DMM under load.

Does DMM refer to a memory module?? As in running prime for a day or so or a loop of Mark '05???

As to the bsod's they haven't been the same 1 all the time on occasion it is "irq not equal or less than" whuch if I remember rightly is a memory error..  :(

I just thought that a beefy psu may allay most of my woes.. To this end could everyone please field their own oppinions of the Enermax 600w SLi psu please???

Thanx again and thanx for the speedy replies from all  :D ..

562033[/snapback]

562044[/snapback]

Ya, Find bigreds Guide for future referencee.

you should see difference in games however, u gotta fix this first.