Sign in to follow this  
FJM005

New Video Card......help!

I was looking on tiger direct and they have a Geforce 6600 with 256 mb of vram

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1212072&CatId=0

and they also have a geforce 6800 with 128mb of vram...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1009366&CatId=0

They are both AGP models.

Which one should I get. I know the one with more ram is much cheaper, but the 6800 is much faster.....please give me some oppinions on what i should get!

thanks in advance

I would go with the 6800. only because I heard XFX was not so good. But other then that I got nothing.

go with the 6800 because the 6600gt is better than the 6600 with 256mb. the 6800 can overclock similar to gt speeds and have more pipes also.

Edit: Double post.

Argh, thats what it, I was like I swore I posted in this thread. and then I didn't so I reposted. Im confused.

Edited by Ste

If I overclock the 6800, will my computer run too hot? do i better cooling to overclock a gpu?

Nothing runs to hot if you have proper cooling.

Someone can reccomend a replacement Heatsink and Fan for it.

Get an NV Silencer by Arctic Cooling to cool it.

And you're not giving us enough info here. What games do you play? How much do you like ultra detailed textures?

If you want raw FPS and don't care much about detail, get the 6800. If you want ultra good looking textures with a playable FPS, get the 6600.

By overclocking one component, your computer as a whole won't heat up. Your ambient case temp may raise a bit, but that depends on your cooling, and any ducting you might have. And, what type of pie you like.

EDIT: I can't find the right NV Silencer right now, but look into one of these or these. I would go for the former, though. Having the name of an overcommercialized gamer on a product doesn't make it 1337.

imo if you are goin to spend the money on a cooler you might as well get the 256mb 6800 and just overclock it alittle with stock cooling